Need of a new pair of earphones/ general question for Impedance
Jan 30, 2018 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Scavenger

New Head-Fier
Hello, dear guys and gals!
First, I'd like to apologize for my possible mistakes in English, as it is not my native language.

Recently I decided to get myself a new pair of on-ear headphones, as I don't really like the in-ear ones but at the same time I want them to be kinda portable (so - comfy and easy to travel with).

I do already have ATH M-50x, Koss Porta Pro and some JVC in-ear earbuds (forgot the exact model but are from those extreme explosive series) and all of them are my all time favorties from what I've had until now, although the JVC DO have an extremely bumpy bass, lol. Neither of them, though, has a built-in mic. Now I would like to buy something with a mic so I could communicate easier when making a phone call or sitting on the laptop and chatting alongside listening to music with quality headphones. Therefore - I will be using them mainly on mobile devices (meaning no amps and no 200+ ohm phones, haha). The budget is 60-70 Euro (80-100 dollars). So except for the question you'll see a paragraph or two below, I'd like to hear your suggestions on what to buy, although I have my favorites (at least for now).

Enough Intro anyway I think lol, so here's what I have in mind until now:
I live in Germany at the moment and the other day I was in a huge market for Tech stuff and I did listen to some Headphones for which I've read here and there. Some of the models were: Sennheiser 2.10, Sennheiser, 2.30, Sony MDR-ZX330, Sony MDR-XB650BT and by far my most favorite of all - Marshall Major 2 (for which I didn't have the intention to try out but were for some reason on a sale for a limited time). While I was there I was also offered by the assistant to try out a pair of Pioneers (SE - MJ771BT) and a pair of Skullcandy Hesh 3 (yes, they are over ear, but were great so I would say they are considered as well).

I did try all of them using just my phone, which I think I'll use them most with. What were my impressions in a nutshell:
Well, for some reason the Sennheisers sounded very, very, VERY cheap, I felt like a pair of 10$ headphones would have sounded better, I have no idea why.
The sony's were OK, just as expected I'd say - stable sound with clear vocals and highs, a very decent bass, which is actually typical for the Japanese guys.
Then we go to the Skullcandy cans and the Pioneers - both were very identical to be honest - a great warm sound, with the candies having a bit greater bass (also typical for them I suppose).
But when I just heard the Majors 2.... oh, gosh, it was pretty incredible. An amazing sound, so real like I was there live listening to it. The lower frequencies had indeed an upper hand but it was not too much in any case. It was amazing, I liked them a lot and, as stated above, are my favorites so far.

What made me confused, however, are the specs of each headphones compared to the majors:
Every other pair of the headphones except for the Marshall Major 2 had <40 ohm impedance and Sensitivity ~100 dB, while the Major 2 had 60 Ohm Impedance and 99 (let's say it 100, too) dB sensitivity.
From what I've read and (I think) understood, for a source like phone/laptop without an amp/preamp is suggested 32 to maximum 40 ohm impedance (the less - the better) and at least 100 dB of sensitivity (here the more - the better). That's the theory, right?
Then, for sake, why did all the other headphones sound so quiet compared to the Marshall?? I read and read and yet couldn't answer it by myself. Using the same volume with all pairs the majors did perform relatively louder and clearer - like there wasn't nothing to stop them lol... although their (I dare to say) huge Im of 60 Ohm. I would be really happy if someone explains me the science behind this fact. Or maybe is it just my phone? :S I just find the audio stuff interesting and would love to learn as much as I can. :) By the way, I heard the Hesh 3 with a cable and the selling assistant told me that while listening to them via bluetooth the sound is a bit louder. And why is that? Is it with evry BT ear-/headphones so?

True, the Porta Pro also have 60 Ohms I think, but I've read that they are an exception from these rules due to their technology or something, but are the Marshalls such too?
Even my M-50x's which are 99 dB @ 38ohm sound just a liiiitle bit quiter than those Marshalls. Any ideas?

Also, do you think I should go for bluetooth Headphones overall? Is the technology good enough already or should I stick to the cable? Most of the models can be used with a cable too already (except for Sony), so it won't be any loss, just +20$ to the price, I guess.

I would like to hear your opinions, as I'm not the guru here, lol.
Thank you for your attention!

Cheers and best regards,
Scav

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back