Need Noise Cancelling Headphone
Dec 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Aisein

New Head-Fier
Three days ago, I decided to upgrade my regular Skullcandy earbuds to a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100’s. I’m totally loving the sound especially the punchy bass. And I wanted to give my brother a pair of headphones that he would appreciate as much as I appreciate my new headphones. But I’m still new to the site so I do need some help…

He has told me that he wants the Bose QC15 due to its noise cancelling feature. From what I’ve heard, these are great at noise cancelling. I've tried them out myself and their noise cancelling feature is impressive but I, of course, still preferred my M-100's. I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy those for him or are there others that I should be looking at?

Things that might be helpful to know:

Headphones need to be over-ear (otherwise, I would have just gotten him an IEM)
Could be noise isolating but noise cancelling feature is preferred
Mainly used for travel so wants a good build quality and needs to be comfortable
Budget: $250 – 300
Types of music he listens to: alternative rock, techno, pop, electronic dance
Additional equipment, such as amps, not preferred 

Other headphones I've heard of that could be possible contenders: 

Ultimate Ears UE6000
PSB M4U 2 (not sure he would like the style though... not to mention they're out of the budget range)

As for sound signature, since he was looking at the QC15's I'm assuming he likes natural sound..? I'm a noob, I'm sorry. Hopefully, I provided enough information though. Thanks everyone!

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 2
This article explains the fundamentals of their workings and includes recommendations:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones

Conclusion: "If you find yourself in loud environments and would prefer a good noise canceling headphone, there are two very good choices in my mind: the Bose Quiet Comfort 15, and the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b as a lower cost alternative. While I think the ANC7b delivers nearly the same value for the money, in the case of hard-core travelers surviving chaos and din day after day, month after month, I think the additional investment in the QC15 for your peace of mind is well worth the price."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back