Need new speakers/monitors
Sep 11, 2010 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RollerBall

New Head-Fier
I need to buy a good set of speakers. I was originally going to buy a dock for my Zune but decided selection was limited and that I'd be spending more money than I needed. I instead got a cheaper dock that you hook up to your own setup.

The dock has A/V hook up as well as standard 3.5mm.

At the moment I run all my sound at home through my ATH-AD700 headphones. I want to use this dock to hook up to a proper set of speakers. I'm thinking either a 2.1 computer setup or possibly some studio monitors that don't require an amp.

I'm not really well versed in speakers or audio setups outside of headphones so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was originally going to buy a set of z2300 but figured I would be able to get much better sound quality from somewhere other than computer speakers.

I'm looking to spend around 150-250 GBP.
I listen to DnB, Rock, Punk, little bit of acoustic and rap.
The speakers must be able to connect to the dock (I keep all my music on it, don't burn any) via A/V or 3.5mm.

At the moment I'm thinking of maybe the KRK RP5 G2s or the AudioEngine A5s. Would anybody who's used either of the monitors say they require a sub though? I've heard they're quite lacking on the bass side. I'm unable to audition either of them so I can't find out for myself.

I'm not looking for completely overpowering bass, I mean the AD700s are hardly grados and I like them just fine. I'm not looking for beastly bass to pound through the walls and piss off my neighbors either, I just don't want a hollow sound.

I'm also going to be in a smallish university room and will be sitting fairly close to the speakers so I need some that sound good in a near field listening environment.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the AudioEngine A2's and overall very happy with them as I use them for travel, and in hotel rooms, I can't really turn them up --as I get calls from front desk when I do-LOL.
Their Bass is very good for their price and size - It's very tight and surprisingly loud. It does get distorted at higher volumes... so I have it hooked up to my Yamaha Subwoofer. For the A2, you need a sub.

I've auditioned the A5s... and For the A5, I'd say NO, you don't need a Subwoofer -especially if you are using them in a dorm room.
My next speakers will be either the KRK Rokit5 or the M-Audio BX5a deluxe.
Have you looked into the BX5a deluxe??
I've never auditioned them, but I trust what the fellow Heafiers are saying about them --- they are suppose to be in another league above the A5's.
Not sure how they'd compare to the Rockit5's though -- anyone??

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Definitely check out the Tannoy Reveal 501a.
They are amazing! Powerful bass and crystal clear, crisp mids and highs.
You will not be disappointed, Highly recommended!. $179 USD each

The M-Audio BX5a Deluxe and JBL LSR2325P are good as well. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 7
The KRKs are great monitors. I use them at uni in one of the studios and they sound great. Yeah, they have a little less bass than anything else, but if you're just listening to it for quality purposes rather than massive bass for parties or something, they're perfect. You could always add a sub later on if you want.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Wow, it looks like there are definitly a lot of contenders in this price range. I have my work cut out for me! I will indeed be listening to them for quality purposes. The furthest they'll go with regards to parties is if we have a dorm party, which I wouldn't take expensive monitors to anyway, I'd be too worried some drunk would push in the diaphrams.

I'd definitly get the A5s over the A2s though. I have no need for portability and I don't want to order a sub at the moment 'cause I'm not a real basshead. I might end up ordering a DAC a bit down the line though if that changes things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back