Need new portable source
May 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Heatley

New Head-Fier
I lost my iPod touch 2G which I was quite content with and am now at a loss for which portable source to get now. I need an mp3 player, which can play flac and wmv if possible. I will use this 90% sitting at home and 10% jogging. I need the battery life to be 5 hours minimum and the storage to be in excess of 32GB (I have sd cards, so expansion via sd slot is no problem).

So far I am looking at the Cowon J3 and iPod touch 4G

May 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 14
I'll be using the 1964-Q custom iem. I hear that the hifiman 602 has an amp built into it. Does that mean if I buy a seperate amp it would be redundant? If so, how good is the built in amp? I'm currently looking at the GS voyager or ibasso d4 as a seperate amp. I'm new to the head-fi scene, so I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff.

Don't worry about the portability, I will find a way to lug it around with me. I'm also open to suggestions other than the sources I've listed already. My price range is capped at about $300 though.

May 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Interesting. How would you guys fair the iPod touch paired with the rsa p-51 against the hifiman? Better? Worse? Also, is it worth my while to go and pick up a sansa clip today? They're on sale for $40 (4GB), and they look perfect for jogging.

May 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 14
From everything I've read, the best way to save money is with the Sansa Clip. If you want the cool features I guess go for J3 or Ipod. the HM602 is very expensive, $400 or so I believe. not sure why that is in the same category for consideration.

May 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 14
The Clip+ is cheap enough that you can buy one just for jogging, then buy a separate one for normal use. I went this route myself, but then I again I might be going jogging more often than you do, so I dunno if you want to do this.

May 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
From everything I've read, the best way to save money is with the Sansa Clip. If you want the cool features I guess go for J3 or Ipod. the HM602 is very expensive, $400 or so I believe. not sure why that is in the same category for consideration.

I've heard the Sansa Clip and HM602 are comparable in terms of sound quality, and wanted to confirm the validity of the statement. No matter what, I will be getting the iTouch 5 this September, so should I just stick with that? Can someone give their opinion of which ones are best to worst in terms of SQ?

May 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 14
I would suggest that you get the Sansa Clip for jogging and something else for your 90% of the time at home... Its unreasonable to expect any player to satisfy both your conditions...

Although if its reasonable audio you're going after, the newest iPod Touch does fit both your requirements even without having to amp it. Marginal improvements amping for IEMs with the new i-Devices really. 

May 11, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I would suggest that you get the Sansa Clip for jogging and something else for your 90% of the time at home... Its unreasonable to expect any player to satisfy both your conditions...

Although if its reasonable audio you're going after, the newest iPod Touch does fit both your requirements even without having to amp it. Marginal improvements amping for IEMs with the new i-Devices really. 

Really? I heard many people dislike the iTouch's SQ.

May 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Really? I heard many people dislike the iTouch's SQ.

Hmmm that I'm not too sure. I only had a quick listen and assumed it had the same output as my iPhone 4. Didn't do a proper A/B comparison. The iPhone 4's headphone out is so clean its comparable to the line-out of my 5.5g~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back