Need new portable phones - NOT IEM
Jul 1, 2009 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ScottieB

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I know I'm being a bit lazy here and I apologize in advance - I'm usually much more diligent but just don't have the time right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway I'm in the market for a new pair of portable headphones, for daily use around the city with my iPod. I definitely do not want anything in-ear, but also nothing huge. Sound quality is important, but not paramount, as I'm listening to V0 mp3s for the most part.

So far I have my eyes on the Sennheiser px200 (the 100s are open and as such would leak too much sound for my needs), but am looking for other ideas. I like the idea of the Ultrasone Zino, but they don't seem to be in stock yet and are a tiny bit more than I'd like to spend (although I'd go as high as $100 for the perfect pair). Also looked at the Ultrasone iCans, but they're a bit to "bling" for my purposes (looks don't usually matter, but these almost yell out too much, you know?)

So any other thoughts? $50-$60 would be the sweet spot but as I said I'd go as high as $100 if they were just right.

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 25
When you say NOT in-ear / IEM, we don't know if you mean not an isolating IEM that cuts you off from outside noises, OR if that also includes no earbuds. If earbuds are OK with you, I would say look at the Senn MX-760. It has a great range low-to-high, and mids that warmer rather than colder (stronger in the upper-mids, rather than the lower mids), and a nice wide soundstage.

If you don't want anything sitting in the ear canal or outer ear, then there are several on-ear possibilities that don't have a headband: Koss KSC-75, the new Yuin G2a (haven't heard them but they get great reviews here). There is also the street-band style iGrado.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 25
Though these are a bit bigger, I think they are a lot more isolating and probably better sounding. I know the V6's sound great for closed phones. (haven't head the px200 but supposedly they sound slightly worse than my px100s).

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 ($55-Refurb'd)
Sennheiser HD-25 ($90, B-Stock)
Sony MDR-V6 ($50, Refurb'd)
Sony MDR-D66SL "Eggos" ($80 ???)

If isolation is not important, then you may indeed want to look at the yuin clip-ons, as the above poster said.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 25
Sorry about not being clearer... I'd prefer nothing in-ear at all, and actually like the stability a headband offers. A big problem I have is that earbuds tend to fall out of my ears and street-band never seems to fit right. With a headband I know they're going to stay in place. Even the pair of (admittedly crappy) clip-on ones I had never stayed on right - I'm moving around a lot.

But, I'd also like to be able to use them at the gym, so maybe an ear bud might work... an over-the-ear might get nasty and sweat too much? Gah I'm kind conflicted here...
smily_headphones1.gif

Honestly, the best fit I ever got was with my ultimate ears super.fi 5, but that was mainly because of the piece that bent over and around my ear to keep them in place. But ever since I lost one of the drivers in midtown (due to the removable cable) I vowed to never spend that much on portables again.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though these are a bit bigger, I think they are both a lot more isolating and probably better sounding. I know the V6's sound great. (haven't head the px200 but supposedly they sound slightly worse than my px100s)

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 ($55-Refurb'd)
Sennheiser HD-25 ($90, B-Stock)
Sony MDR-V6 ($50, Refurb'd)
Sony MDR-D66SL "Eggos" ($80 ???)

Thanks, ljoker - if you notice my sig, I had the Sony 7506 which I think is simialr to the V6 - and too big for what I need.

Really looking for something a bit smaller than that, but thanks for the suggestions.

Oh and isolation is somewhat important - I don't need to be dead to the world, but I do need to not disturb others and to be able to hear in the busy city! (which is why I was looking at the px200 instead of the open 100)

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, ljoker - if you notice my sig, I had the Sony 7506 which I think is simialr to the V6 - and too big for what I need.

Really looking for something a bit smaller than that, but thanks for the suggestions.

Oh and isolation is somewhat important - I don't need to be dead to the world, but I do need to not disturb others and to be able to hear in the busy city!

Sorry, didn't notice your sig. So you don't want isolation per se, you just want to prevent leakage into the outside world? My px100s don't leak at all at reasonable volumes. I wouldn't use them at the library, but I have taken them on the bus with no problems/odd looks.

They do lose out (in lack of leakage) to my JVC Flats, which are a bit cheaper than you want.

My Audio-Technica Ath-On3 don't leak either and sound quite good. I just have trouble recommending them because the fit is so different for everyone. Some people love it, some hate it.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 25
Oh cool - those AT's look really interesting... I'll look into that thanks.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 25
Check out the new pair from NuForce and Ultrasone, the UF-30s. $79 on Amazon, in three colors. I have a pair coming soon. Should be interesting. They also fold up, like the PX100.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Sorry about not being clearer... I'd prefer nothing in-ear at all, and actually like the stability a headband offers. A big problem I have is that earbuds tend to fall out of my ears and street-band never seems to fit right. With a headband I know they're going to stay in place. Even the pair of (admittedly crappy) clip-on ones I had never stayed on right - I'm moving around a lot.

But, I'd also like to be able to use them at the gym, so maybe an ear bud might work... an over-the-ear might get nasty and sweat too much? Gah I'm kind conflicted here...
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotcha! The Koss KSC-75 might still be an option for you, because I've seen somewhere on here a link to a cheap-o portable headphone (skinny silver band type) that you can rip the phones off the headband and the KSC-75 phones pop onto the headband.

Seeing that you have 325is, I can tell you that you probably won't be too satisfied with the Senn PX-200. I had the PX100 for about a month and was glad to sell them as boomy, recessed highs, and very little energy (totally opposite the direct Grado sound in terms of sound pressure). And the PX100 would NOT stay on my head.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotcha! The Koss KSC-75 might still be an option for you, because I've seen somewhere on here a link to a cheap-o portable headphone (skinny silver band type) that you can rip the phones off the headband and the KSC-75 phones pop onto the headband.

Seeing that you have 325is, I can tell you that you probably won't be too satisfied with the Senn PX-200. I had the PX100 for about a month and was glad to sell them as boomy, recessed highs, and very little energy (totally opposite the direct Grado sound in terms of sound pressure). And the PX100 would NOT stay on my head.

Ah many thanks for that insight - I do love my 325is, so perhaps the Senn is a bad idea - I'm very curious about these AT's and Nuforce/Ultrasones... gonna read some reviews on them.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

So far I have my eyes on the Sennheiser px200 (the 100s are open and as such would leak too much sound for my needs), but am looking for other ideas. I like the idea of the Ultrasone Zino, but they don't seem to be in stock yet and are a tiny bit more than I'd like to spend (although I'd go as high as $100 for the perfect pair). Also looked at the Ultrasone iCans, but they're a bit to "bling" for my purposes (looks don't usually matter, but these almost yell out too much, you know?)

Zino sound great!
atsmile.gif

From what I gathered they are much better than the iCans (I don't have mine yet
frown.gif
)

If you can't find the Zino (they are already released, btw) then consider the iGrado.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zino sound great!
atsmile.gif

From what I gathered they are much better than the iCans (I don't have mine yet
frown.gif
)

If you can't find the Zino (they are already released, btw) then consider the iGrado.

Oh, really? On amazon it says "available for pre-order" and offers no date...
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Oh, really? On amazon it says "available for pre-order" and offers no date...
frown.gif

Well, they were released in Germany this Friday. First shipment is apparently sold out already. I didn't pre-order so I'm waiting for the second shipment.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they were released in Germany this Friday. First shipment is apparently sold out already. I didn't pre-order so I'm waiting for the second shipment.

Ah ok - wonder when they'll make it over here... time will tell.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In case anyone's curious, kmhaynes is referring to the $1.99 mini headphones from parts-express. The earcups can be removed from the headband and swapped for KSC75 ones.

Unfortunately, the result is very unimpressive as there's not nearly enough clamping force for my tastes. My headband went into the desk drawer never to be seen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back