Need new portable CD player
Aug 28, 2001 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pedxing

1000+ Head-Fier
My six year old Sony D-842K portable cd-player died recently. I need to buy a new portable CD player. Are there any good portable CD players in the market I can buy new today? I need a CD player with a good headphone jack and a line-out. I own a Sennhesier HD570 and I want the player to at least power my HD570 without sounding significantly faded.

Aug 28, 2001 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 6
Maybe try and buy something used on ebay for cheap. Most of the new players don't sound very good. The new Panasonics aren't too bad for sound but they don't have a very loud output and they don't last very long. Definately not 6 years anyways. Maybe 1 year.

Sony had some good ones a couple years back. They have a 15mw/ch output (real loud) and they last quite a while. Sound quality is pretty good. Mine's a D-E446CK. Look for any of the older Sony ESP2 models. Most of them sound pretty good from what I've heard. If you want the best get a D-777 or a D-E905 but they're pretty expensive if you can find one.

Aug 29, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 6
I agree with Deuce. HD570 and today's new big-name-brand PCDP's? Fuggeddaboutit.

All of the new big-name-brand new-model PCDP's have less than 10mW/channel! And the Senn 570 is notoriously tough to drive, especially with mW ratings in the single-digit figures.

Aug 29, 2001 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the advice. I think I will try to find a D-777. One of my friends own a D-777 and I tried my HD570 on them long time ago. However, I had to crank the volume high on the D-777 before I got an ok response. The same thing happened to my CD player too. However, I have noticed over the years that I did not have to crank my CD volume as high any more (ie: Instead of cranking to 7/10, I can listen to it at 2/10 on my broken CD player). Is this because I broke my headphones in or is it my imagination?

PedXing

Aug 30, 2001 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 6
try turning the volume on the d777 player to 8, and attenuating the volume on the d777 remote to a lower listening level. i find this helps punch up the bass & midrange nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back