Need new IEMs around $200
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

lawndart

New Head-Fier
My cat ate my V-Modas the other night. So i need a need a new pair of phones. I have a budget of $200 +/- $50. Im a newbie so please bear with me and my ignorance.

My muscical tastes vary from 70's Rock and Punk to 80' New Wave and old school rap. I play bass in a band so I like to hear the bass and kickdrum, low mids. I like how my AKG271s are but with more kick in the bass. Nothing bass-heady, just want bass presence.

Eventually Im going to buy an amp to go along with the line out of my 3g Ipod.

The phones I've been looking at were
UE Superfi 5pros
Westone UM2
Klipsch Custom2
Etymotic Er4

Are there any other ones i should be considering?

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 19
Drop the ER4 given the bass requirement...I didn't feel like the 271s lacked bass, but then I only have a few minutes with it.

Drop the Custom 2 unless you can try them on. I went with 2 friends, and all 3 of us found them uncomfortable and/or awkward. One gets used to them, perhaps, but that's a risk.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 19
seriously, the custom-2 is not worth 200
considering you can get the custom-3 for less than 200
i got my custom-3 for approx. 175$, and that's store bought
you can try hunting around the net for similar deals
at that price, it cant be beat in quality

as long as you can demo it and dont find fit issues

i dont have fit issues with mine

make sure that the tips are aligned as well as the wires

good luck hunting

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would consider:

Klipsch Image X5
Sleek SA6
Phonak Audeo

I have the Phonak Audeos and did extensive reading before buying. I recall everyone that compared these with the X10 to prefer the Phonaks, and the X5 is bass light in comparison to the X10. From what I recall reading, the Phonaks are more detailed than the SA6 with better bass (but search the thread if for confirmation).

Basically, they sound very very good to my ears, balanced, accurate, detailed, and have a bass punch with the right fit. And if the coupon SAVE10 is still working, without a mic they are $125.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 19
I would check out the klipsch image x10 if I were you.

They can be had for right around $200 on Amazon and they are WELL worth it.

The clarity and separation are great, the soundstage and the bass/low-mids are incredbile, and they are the most comfortable IEM's I've ever came across.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 19
Thanks everyone for your input. With alot of suggestions about the x10, those are the pair im leaning towards, but how about the Shure se420s? A couple of you mentioned them.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 19
you should try the se420 if youre considering it

but try the x10 beside the custom-3 and you will not have room for the 420 anymore, those 2 klipsch beats it
i tried both and went for the custom-3
x10 has more bass presence but thats about it
didnt even come close to the quality and detail on the custom3's

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 19
X2 to anything Klipsch
X2 to Sleek sa6
X2 to Senn IE7

its all about fit really.

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 19
um, Futuresonics A5!!!

I have had the 530s, Er4P/s etc. Most everything except for the new Klipsch so yeah.

For bass and balance, the A5s are stunningly good. Nothing goes as low as these iems except a decent subwoofer. Truly sub bass while still retaining mids. The highs are a bit rolled off but they are the least fatiguing iems I have ever had.

Plus, they are $160 new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back