Need new IEMs, $200-$250US
Aug 23, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jon115

New Head-Fier
Hey.

I'm looking for a new pair of earphones to replace my Shure SE115s. They had the right bass for me, but the mids and highs were too harsh and sloppy for heavy metal.

My budget is $200-$250. They need to have detailed highs and mids for alternative, punk, hard rock, heavy metal, ect. and I really like strong bass, even if my music isn't meant for it.

Durability isn't an issue, I treat my earphones carefully. Comfort isn't a big deal either, as long as I can get Comply tips for them, it's all good.

Oh, and I need a low impedance if possible, I really don't want to get an amp.

Thank you very much for your help
smile_phones.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 15
It's $16 above your maximum budget, but budgets are there to be stretched: Shure SE530 for $266.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 15
Westone 3 are the right choice for you and these Dynamic IEMs JVC FX500 and Denon AH-C710 are really well rounded with deep rich bass, clear mids and extended highs.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Atrio m5s are my choice. You can even lower your budget by 50 or so and still have great sound. A lot of people praise the JVC FX500 and Monster Turbines but the Atrio M5s are way underated. The bass is incredible on the m5s. Just need to burn them in for 30-50 hours.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 15
thanks for the quick replies everyone, i really appreciate it.

i will look into all of these, especially the se530s - that's a great price. maybe i can find the westone 3s around that price too
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 15
If you are looking for the W3s, then consider the UM3X. By all means, read up on the W3s, because fit/tips are a major factor in those IEMs sounding right (they can sound horrible depending on the tip/fit).

My belief is either go to one of the top tier phones (W3, UM3X, TF10, SE530, X10, etc.) or look for something less expensive and save for the higher end. I would not buy in that price range unless it was for one of the top phones (example, I managed to get the W3s for $240 and IE8s for $230 via sales, coupons, etc.).

Otherwise, there are alternatives like the Atrios and the Denon 710s (around $100), and a new phone I've come across. Not new, but a very nice phone a friend turned me on to - sort of a junior version of the UM3X. It's called a Cresyn C750E, and there are some reviews of it. I think it's a very nice IEM, and it's around $100 on Amazon. It's not a bass monster, but the highs/mids are excellent, and the bass is good, and can be EQ'd as well. Just a thought on the lower end price. I'd say the Creslyn or the Denon is a better value than most of the mid-priced phones (in the $200 street price level). Just my POV, so take it with a grain of salt. You can see from my sign I've been through a ton of trial and error on this issue.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for the W3s, then consider the UM3X. By all means, read up on the W3s, because fit/tips are a major factor in those IEMs sounding right (they can sound horrible depending on the tip/fit).

My belief is either go to one of the top tier phones (W3, UM3X, TF10, SE530, X10, etc.) or look for something less expensive and save for the higher end. I would not buy in that price range unless it was for one of the top phones (example, I managed to get the W3s for $240 and IE8s for $230 via sales, coupons, etc.).

Thanks a lot for your input.

After reading this, I couldn't agree more. I've already had experience with low-end, entry level earphones ($100-$150) I might as well go all out to the top of the line now. There isn't much at the $200-$250 mark anyhow.

It looks like you've owned a lot of top tier IEMs - do you think you could recommend a pair based on the sound preferences I listed above? That would be very appreciated.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 15
Well, I've had the W3, IE8 and the UM3X, oh and the Klipsch Image X10. For me, the Westone UM3X is the best universal IEM I've heard so far. Read the threads, don't just buy on my advice. But I do really like the UM3X.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 15
What will you be running these out of?

If you have a competent digital equalizer (read: any non-Apple device), consider skipping the expense and going for an ER-4P, which is a top-tier IEM at a mid-tier price. Add 2 or 3 (or more) dB to the 60Hz band and you will have the exact top-tier sound you are looking for at a price that won't break the bank. I preferred the ER-4P over both the SE530 and TF10pro, even though the latter two are also very good top-class IEMs.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've had the W3, IE8 and the UM3X, oh and the Klipsch Image X10. For me, the Westone UM3X is the best universal IEM I've heard so far. Read the threads, don't just buy on my advice. But I do really like the UM3X.

I will and have read the threads, but you've had a lot of high end phones so I figured you'd be a good person to ask.
smile.gif

Quote:

What will you be running these out of?

If you have a competent digital equalizer (read: any non-Apple device), consider skipping the expense and going for an ER-4P, which is a top-tier IEM at a mid-tier price. Add 2 or 3 (or more) dB to the 60Hz band and you will have the exact top-tier sound you are looking for at a price that won't break the bank. I preferred the ER-4P over both the SE530 and TF10pro, even though the latter two are also very good top-class IEMs.

Mostly I will be playing off my laptop, rest of the time from my iPod. I suppose I could buy a new player as well, maybe an amp? Thanks for your input.

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly I will be playing off my laptop, rest of the time from my iPod. I suppose I could buy a new player as well, maybe an amp? Thanks for your input.

The iPod EQs won't do justice to the ER-4P, so I'd rule it out unless you get an amp later on. In which case, the ER-4S will absolutely stun you without any necessary EQ. No other top-tier universal I've heard can compete in its mid-range and treble detail (the three I haven't heard yet are the Westone 3 and UM3X and the Audio-Technica CK100). Amped, the ER-4S was the only portable IEM I have heard that moved me to tears (this was back in the day).

Not sure you want something that intense though.. you know how emasculating that was?
redface.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's $16 above your maximum budget, but budgets are there to be stretched: Shure SE530 for $266.

I really don't appreciate you posting the low prices here. I just spent over $300 for the W3's (loving them by the way), but can't help myself to find out what these sound like also. Seeing them for $266/free shipping and 30day return policy I couldn't resist. I couldn't imagine though anything sounding better then the W3's. I have the perfect fit with the medium long comply's. Ok, just kidding keep the low prices coming. I usually can't find the lowest at all!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back