Need new headphones
Sep 2, 2019 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tempo47x

New Head-Fier
I need new headphones the left side of my dt990's has died after like 6 years, i just have a basic setup atm with a fiio10. I'm looking to step up some with a 600$ budget not sure what i could get with that, i was thinking of the HD6xx but i don't really know much about dac/amps and thats why im here. I've only used all in one dac/amps so im not sure what type of wires i would need if i bought a seperate dac/amp or if they come with it and what ill need to power the headphones. Any recommendations are appreciated, i listen to a wide variety of music from rock to chill/ instrumental and multiple other genres

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 5
For that kind of money you can get an Oppo PM1 or PM2 in great condition. I've owned a PM1 for two years, and absolutely love them: neutral, detailed, easy to listen planars. Plus they are extremely comfortable and beautiful. A great "entry-level TOTL" HP.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 5
I have owned a lot of headphones about 20 in my collection and in my opinion the nura phones are definitely among the best sounding in my collection.

Yea i have heard the oppo pm3 and the meze classic 99 the hd 650 those sort of headphones, mid fi headphones.

The bass does not disappoint at all if your a bass head i would only recommend these only to bass heads which is the nura phones because the bass does have some serious kick and rumble more so then the oppo pm3 and meze classic 99 but yeah bass indeed but the nura phones do very well with the highs and mids though varying on how much bass you have i mean at 100% bass setting or immersion all you will have is bass while the rest of the frequency spectrum is sucked out, so i recommend 50% immersion which is the sweet spot for bass lovers or if it is too much then 40% which falls in line with the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Overall out of my 20 headphones these with the bass beats them all mostly but the hfi 580 is also a bass head can well the bass is different on those and i prefer the nura phones over the hfi 580 which is a subjective taste of mine because of nura phone sub bass which i prefer.

Also the nura phone adapts to your unique hearing which is an up and i highly recommend you pay for a subscription here > https://www.nuraphone.com/products/nuranow#choose-plan because you may or may not like them so you can cancel anytime and the catch is you have to send them back.

With the bass it always knocks air out of my lung :/.

Dan

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 5
6XX's are a good idea, and leave quite a bit of money for the rest. But they have a rather different sound than the 990's, namely quite a bit less bass and treble than you'd be used to. If you want something similar to the 990's the dt1990's pros would be a sound decision, same line of headphones, same company. You might have to look for a bit for a used pair though, they hit your budget right on. There are many other options though, but you'd have to do some research to determine what kind of sound you would like.

I'd get a jds atom, or monoprice liquid spark amp alongside. Both provide a good amount of clean power at a low price. I don't know much about good cheap dacs these days, but you might be able to use your fiio, if it's an e10k like I suspect you can just use the dac portion by using the 3.5mm out on the back. Using a cord like this https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8JW0 to connect to the amp.

So computer-->usb cord-->fiio e10k-->that wire I linked-->amp-->headphone.

Hope that helped, this thread didn't look very useful so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back