need new headphones for my iPod
Oct 22, 2004 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

waylman

100+ Head-Fier
currently I have the Sennheiser PX 200's and they are not cutting it at all. Bass pukes out, mids blow and highs are shrill. The only thing going for them is they look good and they are comfortable.
0020080020sidebig.JPG

So, I need something portable that sounds a whole lot better than these. I would be willing to try something in-ear as long as they are comfortable. Budget is around $200. I also don't want some big balloons on my head as I am too vain
wink.gif

I listen to most types of music but no country or classical. Hip hop, rock, and metal mostly. Thanks for suggestions all.

edit: I also own the HD 280's...they sound great but are just too freakin huge for portable use

Oct 23, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by waylman
highs are shrill. The only thing going for them is they look good and they are comfortable.

i think you are probably the only person on these forums to think the px200's are shrill. everyone complains of a chopped off high end!

your best bet is probably canalphones. do a search for etymotic er-6i, shure e2, and shure e3.

Oct 23, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 28
I hate to jump on bandwagons here, but I had the PX200s with my iPod, and went with the HD-25's. I love them. Simply LOVE them. Lots more bass, better definition, and you're actually going to increase the volume without an amp. That actually kind of threw me for a loop, as it's double the ohms of the PX200s. Either way, I did a side by side on the first day, and I can't even listen to the PX's anymore. And this coming from someone who still liked them before I replaced them.
600smile.gif

Oh yeah, one more thing... I got mine from www.zzsounds.com for $145, you just have to pricematch to www.spysupply007.com.

Oct 23, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

anyone know where i can get the 6i's? They seem sold out everywhere
frown.gif

They aren't sold out. They have been recalled because of a design flaw.

Oct 23, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 28
You may want to consider Shure E3c or Etymotic ER-4P/S. To my ears, E3c was too rolled off, but it may suit you better since you find PX200 shrill
confused.gif
ER-4P or 4S is completely different sounding in-ear monitors and they are considered one of the very best (detailed) canal phones by many, including me
etysmile.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

really? what's the flaw?

There were enough situations where the tips were detaching from the canalphones and staying in customer ears to warrant a design change.

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 28
If you think the PX200's sound shrill then the ER6i's, once they're back on the market, may not be to your liking. They have a very tight sound with plenty of detail and an extended treble. Some might even say they could sound a tad bright with some recordings...

Perhaps a headphone with a slightly 'rolled-off' treble would be better? Did someone mention the HD25's? I second that...

Worth checking out. If only because they really are an excellent pair of headphones.

There was a thread recently that derided the HD25's for, it would seem, no other reason than their popularity. But take it from me, and most people here on Head-Fi, they're an extremely capable pair of headphones for around the $150 mark. Fairly compact with a 'pro-audio' look to them...

Beyer's are worth checking out too. The DT990's are great pair of sub $200 cans but are, I think, too bulky for your tastes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back