Need new headphones for College <$100 preferably
Jun 14, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #16 of 32
The RP-21s won't disturb anyone and they sound great. I find them comfortable but some others don't. If you check the Equation Audio site and find a dealer near you they can probably be had for a few bucks under $100. But no one is supposed to advertise any price under $99, or even . . . um . . . mention it.

* tip-toes away *

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 32
The Equation RP-21 or 22 if you want a little more bass but I find the 21's to be excellent and after 300 or more hours they will open up even more with very controlled and responsive bass with the rest of the frequency response following suit.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 32
Thank You everyone for all your responses. I see most people want me to get the RP-21s. I also was looking at this article http://www.headphonesrock.com/2007/0...lessandro-ms1/ for the ms-1s that PBR mentioned saying they were the best headphones under $100. As i was looking at this and searching i also found the ATH-ES7 and now i really don't know what to get. Again my main concern is comfort and i really wanted velour paddings that sennheiser has lol i heard those are the most comfy. My 2nd priority is bass. So it all comes down to 4: HD-280, ATH-ES7, MS-1, or the well recommended RP-21s. hehe thanks again really appreciate help from you guys.

Also as i previously mentioned i will be using this on a laptop (Asus C90s) with an integrated soundcard unless you recommend me to get a usb sound card. Portability isn't much of a concern I will just be using it in my Dorm

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 32
I would consider an Audio Technica A500, they are closed, very comfy, have great soundstage for gaming, and very good TIGHT bass. And they only cost $90 from audiocubes.com

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 32
i personally wouldnt get the hd280, es-7, or the MS-1 for your listed needs.

if someone needed bass and comfort i would recommend the beyerdynamic dt770pro-80, but those cost ~$145. bass + velour ftw!

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 32
Thanks again guys for the input, and yes i was also considering the a-500 I heard good things about gaming and bass they do look kinda big but thats alright. Ultrafit thanks for knocking out a couple hehe and i would to get the beyerdynamic dt770 they look really good and i just love velour. Maybe I can squeeze a little bit more money out but i'm not sure right now. So right now its narrowed down to the a-500 and rp-21's and maybe the dt770pros. Any further opinions of people who have used and two of these would be great and which one i should get thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #24 of 32
haha yikes all good choices... a500 isn't the best choice of the three for music though, as i don't really think it can compare to the others there. it is good for gaming, though. dt770 is a bass monster, however the bass isn't the tightest around. it's a tad bit muddy and slow but that can be improved with amplification. also, the midrange is kinda sucked out. another good thing about it is down the road, you can get them Darthed which will make them pretty much amazing. i've also heard many good things about the ES7, but it appears it doesn't suit your musical tastes the best.

tough choice, but if you're a big basshead, go DT770. if you want a pretty balanced, good sound and also a great value, go for RP-21

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #26 of 32
If I were you, I'd want several sets. One to block out most noise, one for walking around, and one for close listening. Spetsnaz seemed to be on a good path. Add the JVC marshmallows ($15-20 at Walmart or best buy or similar). The Koss KSC 75s should definitely be on your list for the price. If you don't need closed for your room (HD 201), the Grado 60s would be a superb addition at about $60.

Mooch

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #27 of 32
If you want to go one pair I still think the K81DJ pwns all needs, as well as the aforementioned A500.

If you do want a portable pair, I highly recommend the KSC75. If you don't like clips, there is a very cheap way to flip that in my signature.

Whatever you may choose, good luck!

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #28 of 32
Thanks everyone for your help, I decided on getting the k81dj's because of the price and the bass I realized that currently i needed other things to spend money on and couldnt drop a 100 on a set. Anyway thanks a bunch everyone
smily_headphones1.gif
got it for $55 w/ s&h from buy.com. As soon as i receive it i will tell you how they are
600smile.gif
thanks again

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #30 of 32
man, ES7 would do fine with your music tastes! really!

They are good HP. Maybe not the best, but they wont let you down!

So will do MS-1! it's just a question of choosing open or closed!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back