Need new headphones - $1000 budget
Aug 11, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 21
is THAT a budget???
biggrin.gif

(good tips here, good luck! - if you wanna strecht it a little bit further... take a look at PS-1... if you can find some
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Cheers!

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #17 of 21
if these are for gaming, a dac is out of the question,

Ultrasone HFI-2200 + E-mu1616

these come to my mind first, a soundcard for gaming, and a very good pair of cans. they arent much warmer in comparison, but you can still tell the difference between them and a proline 2500.

or, i might recommend having someone mod an x-fi for you, going with the HFI2200 and getting a little bit better of a dac.

(how well do 2200's take on amp colorations?)

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have $1000, I wouldn't necessarily spend $1000 on HP and amp. Since you are using the PC as a source, my first question would be how would you get the signal from PC to amp? If that is not sorted out yet, perhaps look into a good USB interface together with your amp and headphone. It would be a pity feeding $1000 worth of HP and amp with line-out from an on-board sound card, for example
tongue.gif

I totally agree with xenithon that a good DAC is important. I got my can and then brought an amp, and then upgraded my source. Now that i know, I would get the can with a sound signature that you like, and then get a good DAC or Amp/DAC combo. Good luck :GS1000smile:

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by crash013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking into getting some new high-end headphones + an amp. I will be using my computer as a source and they'll be used for watching movies, gaming, and listening to music. I would prefer my headphones to have a balanced sound but otherwise a warmer headphone would be better than one that is more analytical. My budget is about $1000 for both the headphone and the amp.

JVC Victor 1000 & a Hornet M
eggosmile.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JVC Victor 1000 & a Hornet M
eggosmile.gif

I don't know why, but for whatever reason the DX1000 also popped into my mind first!

It won't leave a lot left for an amp and DAC, though, and I would spend the greater portion of what is left over on a DAC.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why, but for whatever reason the DX1000 also popped into my mind first!

It won't leave a lot left for an amp and DAC, though, and I would spend the greater portion of what is left over on a DAC.

Yeah.. Mine too.. Not a obvious choice. I really need to hear these things!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back