need new gpu fan solution
Sep 28, 2007 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
ok, so i have an ati x800gto saphire gpu

awhile ago i had the brilliant plan or replacing the stock crappy little fan with an 80mm case fan so i:

1. removed heatsink and replaced thermal paste with arctic silver 5, ditched the original dinky little fan

2. superglued an 80mm case fan on it, blowing onto the heatsink (that would be up)

3. connected said fan to fan controller on front and crank it up when playing games

however, this doesn't work; it's quieter, but it's not blowing the air through the heatsink the right way (in the middle, out the sides)

so, i need a solution, and a cheap one at that; any thoughts? i'm drawing a blank here, and i really don't want to use a small fan cuz they are loud......

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 10
i had a x800GTO^2 from sapphire, i took out the default cooling system and replaced it with a ati silencer 5, the card lasted around a year, it was cooler, but i softmodded it from 12 pipelines to 16, and over time, the mods wear out the card,

artic cooling makes them, and they usualy sell for less then 20 bucks, check newegg or frys,

now, heres the thing, a cpu fan no longer works on the newer cards becuase they dont only need to cool the GPU, but also the memory,
also, the artic cooling silencers series use a directional airflow insted of downwards, so the air flows from the front to the back of the card, exiting though a card slot,

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Let me get this straight, you glued a case fan to the top of your card's stock cooler (GPU>Heatsink>Heatsink Cover>Case fan over the hole)?

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, so i have an ati x800gto saphire gpu

awhile ago i had the brilliant plan or replacing the stock crappy little fan with an 80mm case fan so i:

1. removed heatsink and replaced thermal paste with arctic silver 5, ditched the original dinky little fan

2. superglued an 80mm case fan on it, blowing onto the heatsink (that would be up)

3. connected said fan to fan controller on front and crank it up when playing games

however, this doesn't work; it's quieter, but it's not blowing the air through the heatsink the right way (in the middle, out the sides)

so, i need a solution, and a cheap one at that; any thoughts? i'm drawing a blank here, and i really don't want to use a small fan cuz they are loud......

there goes the resale value. x800gto is junk by now. if I were you I figuer out how to 'unglue' the fan and sell that card and get a x1950xt.

I recently made the move and it was only $60 out of my pocket.

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me get this straight, you glued a case fan to the top of your card's stock cooler (GPU>Heatsink>Heatsink Cover>Case fan over the hole)?

lol; yes, except i removed the original little dinky fan AND the plastic shroud; actually it's been working pretty fine for about a year now but my system locks up sometimes; i finally figured out that ati tray-tools tells me my gpu temp and it's maxing out at 85c; it seems like it would be a good idea; it's blowing hard on the heatsink which is exposed and the gpu is covered in AS5, but it doesn't
smily_headphones1.gif

i just hated the original noisy fan and so i replaced it with a worse, quiter solution

good deal, i'll get one of those real ones like the zalman, or heck, maybe i should just get a new card, that thing is old
smily_headphones1.gif

would i benefit in games from a better card without a better cpu? or more ram? my system can just barely play oblivion, and it would be nice to be able to play it at XGA

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there goes the resale value. x800gto is junk by now. if I were you I figuer out how to 'unglue' the fan and sell that card and get a x1950xt.

I recently made the move and it was only $60 out of my pocket.

now that's what i'll do; good call; i'll keep an eye on fatwallet for deals

and i've no doubt SOMEONE will buy it on ebay
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 10
I know what you mean, as my last computer had a continuous noise, not a hum, not a hiss, not a whistle, but I hated it. My iMac is bliss [no fan]. Have you considered liquid cooling? How about a remote fan blowing air thru a hose into the computer? How about parking the computer behind a screen lined with soundproofing material? How about cranking up the volume?

Laz

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 10
My 7800GTX fan used to drive me crazy, so I replaced it with an Arctic Cooling Accelero X1. Cheap, easy to install, and much much quieter than the stock fan. I think they have newer/similar fans for the X800 you might want to consider: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php. The Accelero S2 can be completely passive or run with optional quiet fans. It might be worth checking out.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 10
I have some arctic cooler thing on my X800xt
I think it's an AC3 but i can't be sure
eitherway it's quiet and effective

remember with a bigger fan the RPM is lower to push the same amount of air, therefore the noise it reduced- or at least it's more of a low pitch rumble than a high pitched whine

you can get software to control fan speeds too, you might want to look into that for when you're not gaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back