Need new ear-buds for 5G iPod to replace EX-51's ($15 for Rubber no-way bye-bye Sony)
Mar 11, 2006 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mac Write

New Head-Fier
I have the EX-51's I got a few years ago (talked about it on this forum) lost the rubber won't pay the high-way robbery price $15CDN per rubber tip!!! So I think it's time to say ****you Sony (working on a Dec 13, 1996 Multiscan 200sf 17 Sony) and get some reasonable priced new ear-buds for a new iPod I possibly might get. (5G 80GB if that's what comes out next) They were good headphones liked them but man am not impressed with the replacement parts prices.

So I want ones with same or better quality in the sub $75 Canadian range, now I would prefer to have ones that won't charge $30 to replace the tips when they get lost (pulled out way to easily on the EX-51's I am legally blind so I got them catched all the time) or pulled them out some-how. So what should I look at I like the in-ear that the EX-51's provide, also found they cancelled noise well.

Thanks all

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 20
Similar form and configuration, but supposedly better sound: the new Sennheiser canal phones and the new Creatives. I don't know how much they would be in Canada, though -- you guys have to pay a lot more for a lot of this stuff! You can also consider the Shure E2's, which would isolate more -- if that's a good thing.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 20
The E2's are only $25-$30 CDN (over-estimating) for 5 replacement sets of the rubber, very reasonable. One bad review on Amazon. Where would I look in Canada? Bestbuy.ca futureshop.ca londondrugs.com? where?

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 20
I hope you kept the rest of the tips. You can trade the sizes you don't need with someone on the forum.

You can even look for the similar tips of other semi-canalphones made by sony/panasonic/jvc/creative/sennheiser/sharp (am i missing any?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 20
Just burned an MP3 CD and tried the EX-51's (with right ear tip-less) and the left sounded so quiet and flat it wasn't funny. Tried the ear-buds that came with my 510 Sony Discman so much more depth (with base 2) then the EX-51's it isn't even funny. So they are officially dead. I found Shure's Canadian website $129 from Futureshop. What's the warrenty on them and should I consider the $25 for the Futureshop warrenty since I think it's over-the-counter? Any offer suggestions ($129 is pushing my limit).

I should also add that my music is Classicial, Sound-tracks (mostly classicial flavor) no hip-hop, electronic. I also listen to pop (Sarah Mcloglen, Liono Richie, etc) also Easy listening as well. That sort of stuff and a couple Dance CD's for working out. Maybe the EX-51's didn't have great build quality ($60 CDN) so good build quality and durable is a must it seems. I also like how the EX-51's blocked out allot of sound.

Also will be listening to 192-320kbps (Lossless will kill the battery else I would use that
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 20
Well I have the Shure E2Cs and I got mine from Futureshop. We get rooked in canada on the prices though. They were $129.99.

The Shure warrantee is supposed to be great. They guarantee them for 2 years. If you have a problem (loose connection etc.) you can send them back and they replace them (at least according to other members here). Quite a few members here have had good experiences with them. I don't think i'd spend any money on the Futureshop extended warrantee in this case.

As for the ear tips... They come with a "Fit Kit" which includes 3 different sized foam sleeves, 3 different sized clear flex sleeves and 3 different sized black flex sleeves as well as I think 10 tiny filter screens (kind of a pain to put on).

I'm not sure how they would be for classical music from an audiphile standpoint but I'm sure that they would be better than those EX51s you have been using and i'm sure you'll be happy with them.

For in IEMs i'm not sure what else you can grab retail in Canada for that kind of money.

If you are looking for replacement tips in the future SFM is the distributor in Canada and you can get them from their website. http://www.sfm.ca/ears/accessories.html

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 20
It's best to buy E2C's online as they're WAY cheaper. I once saw them at future shop for $240 CDN. I assume that's like the retail price.

I would give you what ever size tip you want, but I dunno where to meet you.

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 20
For replacement to the EX51, I would suggest you get the Sennheiser CX300. I had a similar problem as you. I bought the CX300 just two days ago to replace my EX51 and is amazed by how much better it is. They are the same size but i feel the CX300 blocks out a lot more outside noise. The sound quality is also much much better. I got it for $65USD.

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghopper
For replacement to the EX51, I would suggest you get the Sennheiser CX300. I had a similar problem as you. I bought the CX300 just two days ago to replace my EX51 and is amazed by how much better it is. They are the same size but i feel the CX300 blocks out a lot more outside noise. The sound quality is also much much better. I got it for $65USD.

I second the CX300s, although I imagine they might be a little harder to come by up north, otherwise find some E2's online.

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 20
for e2s in canada, there are a few places.

marcopolo.ca someone name Sam i believe, got to email for prices...,
tomleemusic.ca serveral loctations in vancouver i believe ~$99

But i believe it might be cheaper to buy online.
Got the e3c for < $160 CND ... still waiting for them though and these fourms seem to have them for even cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back