need new DJ headphones
Dec 2, 2008 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

unknown00

Head-Fier
the top industry ones i see at clubs are Sony MDR-V700 and Pioneer HDJ-1000. i use to own Technics RP-DH1200 and have no complaints. i believe those are the top 3...what's wrong with them? only big complaint i know are HDJs break easily (i have friends who have broken theirs)

please recommend me a pair or tell me why i shouldn't get the V700 (leaning towards it). my price range is under $150. pple always talk about sound quality and stuff but seriously when i'm mixing with music blasting you can't really hear a huge difference in sound in headphones. i just like bass and as long as music doesn't distort or anything

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 20
I have used both and think Ultrasone makes a better can...

get the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro...

Im a DJ also and use a set of cheapy knock off Chinese Sony MDR-V700 I bought off ebay and they were fine. Because like you said all I need to do is cue the next track!

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro...

I'm no dj, but I listened to these yesterday off a soundboard at Guitar Center, and I never, ever had a pair of headphones thump my head like that before. The bass was awesome. Overall sound quality was also superb and very fun to listen to. Although I'm admittedly new to this so take that with a grain of salt.

The thick leather pads also made a strong seal around my ears. Very comfortable.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 20
An MTV VJ from India VJ Nikhil who is also an Electronic DJ recommended me HD25-1-II for DJing purposes.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 20
Ultrasone DJ1 Pro kinda out of price range
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 20
Sennheiser HD-25 1.

They're super light, excellent isolation, all parts are replaceable (key for heavy users), don't take up much room, and sound quality puts Sony and Pioneer DJ phones to shame. If you look at any DJ from Europe, they are using these since they know about them.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is wrong with the 3 i listed in my first post?

Not a thing, we're just offering better alternatives
smily_headphones1.gif
To go down the cheaper route, AKG K81DJ's/ K518DJ's. I DJ with these boys and i love them to bits. Yet to break, long ass cable perfect for a bit of flexibility and crowd pumping, excellent sound quality overall and pretty good isolation.

The only gripe some people seem to have with them is they think they have too much bass. To be brutally honest, the bass is perfectly suited for club use ( i DJ a few electro nights) and not that overwhelming after burn-in for home use as well.

Trust me, you WILL NOT regret buying these headphones if you don't want to fork out for the HD25-1's
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is wrong with the 3 i listed in my first post?

If you do go with the Sonys, I would check the pivot joints frequently. Those areas are the weak point in those headphones - they're prone to cracking, and eventually the earpieces will fall off the headband. (Though the other DJ headphones have similar weak points, none of them break as readily as the Sonys.)

(Ignore my non-recommendation of the Sony V700's - that non-recommendation is strictly as music-listening headphones, where it suffers from a combination of unremarkable sound quality and extremely poor comfort.)

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do go with the Sonys, I would check the pivot joints frequently. Those areas are the weak point in those headphones - they're prone to cracking, and eventually the earpieces will fall off the headband. (Though the other DJ headphones have similar weak points, none of them break as readily as the Sonys.)

(Ignore my non-recommendation of the Sony V700's - that non-recommendation is strictly as music-listening headphones, where it suffers from a combination of unremarkable sound quality and extremely poor comfort.)

interesting. i have honestly yet to hear a DJ complain about quality of sonys. all who have owned says sonys last years and years. only quality complaint is with pioneers

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 20
Unknown, everyone I know will disagree with everyone you know about Sony mdr-v700 breaking at the pivot v500 as well. If you MUST have Sony mdr-v series check out v600 or v900, not for sq but for durability they are designed much sturdier. I know working DJs that have had the same v600 for years, same goes for mdr-7506.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back