Need new computer monitors
Jul 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Crooks141

Head-Fier
Hey, i recently bought the Ultrasone PRO750 headphones and i love them. Im looking for computer monitors that resemble the ultrasones sound. I listen to and make House and Trance music. I like detail and bass, and not a dark sound.
I currently have 70$ logitech 2.1 speakers from a while ago and they are dying.
any info is helpful thnx

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 19
Speakers are not going to sound like headphones. Ever.

I'd suggest you look for some active bi-amped speakers like BX5a or similar, and if you like bass you'll want something that has a sub out jack. I personally wouldn't trust anything that uses a class D/T amp, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 19
I got a pair of Event TR-8 monitors cheap from a local pawn shop and they create a holographic image that is spooky real. They are bi-amped but direct field so there is a very narrow/small space that your head must be in for full listening pleasure. Also, source has a greater effect with my monitors than headphones, IME/within my setup/ etc.,etc.
I've listened to all but Adams at the local Guitar Center, using my music, and to me 8" low freq drivers are worth the extra money. To me and my ears/taste.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 19
hey, does anyone have info on these? http://cgi.ebay.ca/TECHNICAL-PRO-5-ACTIVE-STUDIO-MONITORS-POWER-SUBWOOFER-/300433984009?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 or even the sub?

Ive been looking around and these are the ones that catch my eye

Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Edifier S730D
Creative Gigaworks T3

I would like to spend less than 300

I want speakers that are fairly accurate. Very clear, but not harsh highs, present mids and alot of bass. But i dont want muddy bass, i want tight, punchy bass.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 19
You might want to try Harman/Kardon Soundstick II or Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra MX6021

Cheers...
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 19
Just got the KRK Rokit 6's...awesome. You can get them on sale from guitar center for $300 (as a pair). I may be just so happy because for last couple months I have been listening to my netbook's speakers as the only other audio device besides my headphone setup haha. So far though I highly recommend them, and they can only get better as my source starts getting upgraded (just using x-fi card currently with audio-gd FUN on way...finally). Bass is nice too, for my small room (dorm room), sitting on desk, I am quite pleased. I thought I was going to have to spring for the KRK sub, not needed with my setup now though.

Good luck and keep doing research

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 19
thanks for the info. TheReds i was actually looking at those. Ive decided i want to get some studio monitors instead of traditional computer speakers as i will be producing trance, house etc on them. Do you think the 6's have enough bass for house music? I was thinking of getting a cheap sub with some 150-200 monitors. But the Rokit 6's or 5's look pretty appealing right now and maybe ill get the sub later.

Yeah i also will be listening to them in a small room, i read that the 6's might be too big for a small bedroom. Do you find this not to be the case?

Thanks

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 19
Here.  If you have a chance to audition them in-store, that would be a little bit useful in helping you decide.  Also consider the Yamaha HS50M or Mackie MR5 as well, see which you like best of the bunch.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 19
The deal I only saw in store (Buy one get second half off). I was actually first planning on getting the 6's + the KRK K10s sub. I honestly don't need the sub right now though. I am in a small room (college) and after listening to these for 2 days I am really happy with the low frequency performance. This is with no eq of any kind, and I listen to everything from classic rock to dub. I do love bass so I foresee myself buying the sub in the future, but it just doesn't make money sense when considering their performance in this room. Too big for the room? I don't think so, and regardless I'd rather have the 6's for the versatility beyond the room I am in now (they really sound excellent to my ears). Like Max said, go to guitar center and audition a couple sets though, always good to get a listen in before. 

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 19
oh ok that makes sense. Yeah i was on the canadian guitar center i guess which didnt show any KRK's. I wont be able to go into any guitar centers becuase i live in canada, which makes this more difficult. Like my PRO 750's i just had to take the risk and order them. I think i might end up getting the Rokit 6's, id just like to get a good price. But im still open to other ideas.

I was looking at the Mackie MR5's and the only thing about them is the rearport, my speakers will be pretty close to the wall and i heard this could be a problem.

Id also like something with atleast 6inch woofer so i dont need to get a sub for awhile. Or something that has enough bass on its own for house, trance music.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Check out the JBL 2325p, Tapco S5', Mackie MR5 and M-Audio BX5, they have a great sound, excellent design and top quality parts these are the best monitors under 500 IMO

I will second the JBL 2325P's  - I went and listened to these last Saturday and I've got to say they sound really great. They sound a little bright, but overall are very nice to listen to.

Also, Kawai_man, what do the BX5a's sound like in comparison? I wanted to hear these but the store didn't have them in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back