Need new cheap earphones!
Apr 26, 2009 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

teknikal

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new here
smily_headphones1.gif
saw the site to have quite a bit of fame and thought I should post this question here.
see I have a dilemma.. I have an old Sony EX71 and it's starting to fail (left ear sometimes refuses to work) and now I am looking for new earphones!
First of all, my budget is around AUS$150, around US$80
I play in a band and will be using the earphones as monitors and so these things probably will be exposed to a lot of movement.
According to iTunes, I listen to:
- The Killers
- Coldplay
- Linkin Park
- Jason Mraz

Now, I was looking at the Super.Fi 3 but then I was told at another forum to get dynamic drivers instead of armatures as to not 'miss' as much bass tones. I saw this on eBay and am very much considering it:
New Shure SCL2 Isolating Earphone E2C Upgrade BLACK & W - eBay Other Headphones, Headsets, Headphones, Headsets, Audio, Electronics. (end time 02-May-09 21:22:19 AEST)

I looked around and found they are basically rebadged Shure e2cs, and from what I gather in the reviews, the sound quality isn't as great? Shure's website states that these phones are 'entry level for sound isolating earphones.' In contrast, the super.fi 3 are labelled as 'studio' earphones with accurate levels. So I am a bit confused.

I was also looking at the Etymotic er6i but I am told the wiring is really bad and so decided against it as it would really suck if they break after only a little while, after using them while playing for band. (my Sony's lasted 2 years, I imagine I'd be using these for around that long too!)

I will be using these earphones for general everyday use as well. I rip my music into my iPod at 160kbps VBR AAC. So I'm not an audiophile but do appreciate quality! Especially on songs like the ones from the artists I listed above.

Please help, what should I do! I've posted this on 3 different forums now, and each response I have been getting so far contradicts with the previous one.
frown.gif

Thanks heaps in advance!

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 5
This portable headphone inquiry thead is posted in the HeadRoom Sponsor Forum. It might get more replies if it were posted in the portable headphone forum.

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 5
You should have a look at the HeadRoom IEM Experience, and make a decision for yourself.

A time comes when you have to say What, and take the plunge.
wink.gif

The Sure SE210 seem like something to look at.

One man's great IEM, is another man's dud. But one thing's for sure... you will not be led astray by the opinions given about the headphones or IEM's sold at HeadRoom. If they think the IEM's are duds, they will not sell them.

I don't personally have experience with IEM's in the $150 price range, so can't share any personal experience with you.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This portable headphone inquiry thead is posted in the HeadRoom Sponsor Forum. It might get more replies if it were posted in the portable headphone forum.

oh sorry, i didn't realize that i'd done that.Is there a way for em to rectify the problem?

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by teknikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also looking at the Etymotic er6i but I am told the wiring is really bad and so decided against it as it would really suck if they break after only a little while, after using them while playing for band. (my Sony's lasted 2 years, I imagine I'd be using these for around that long too!)

The Ety ER6i may look like it's got crappy cable, but our experience is that they work fine and last a long time ... especially at the low prices available. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, and do so all the time to folks riding motorcycles as the 6i is one of the few IEMs that fit under helmets.

Seriously no problems with the 6i, they sound real good for the price, and the price is quite low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back