Need New Cans to Replace my Denon D2000s
May 7, 2020 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jayce99

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

So I've had my classic D2000s since 2007-2008, and I've absolutely loved them, but they're at that point where it's time for some new phones. I've been doing a lot of research and it's been difficult to say the least to choose that brand/model just right, so I thought I'd get some expert opinions. I was eyeing the Audio-Technica ATH-M60X but they seem to be On-ear and not Over. The Denon AH-D5200s looks gorgeous too, but it's more than what I want to pay. Here are my listening habits/prefs:

1) Price preferably less than $400-500 CAD. Will be used strictly at home in isolation (no traveling, other people around at a minimum)

2) I listen to a lot of lossless music (FLAC for the most part, rare few 320 kbps), watch a lot of HD movies with 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby Atmos/DTS Master Audio, along with some casual gaming. Low quality sounding audio really irritates me.

3) Coming from the Denon D2000s, I do enjoy bass (not a straightup basshead though), even though it was uncontrolled and overpowering a lot of the time, so maybe something with a tight, controlled, and accurate bass response. Since these have been my only over ear headphones, I only have experience with the Closed type, but I'm not opposed to the Open type.

4) I use the FiiO Alpen E17 amp with all my headphones.

Anyway, I hope this is enough info.

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 7
May 8, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Is that the only recommendation? I read that they are really close to the D2000s in terms of sound, and as awesome as they were for their time, I sort of want to stray away from those and try something more of an upgrade to them if they meet my preferences.
As mentioned, I can do either Open or Closed type, as long as it's below roughly $500-600 CAD.
The Denon D2000 used Fostex drivers.
But there are many good headphones on the market.
You might consider replacing (selling off) the FiiO E17, it's design is over 8 years old (as is the DAC chip is uses).
Check out the Schiit Fulla 3 DAC/amp ($100), much newer DAC chip and more powerful headphone amplifier.
And check out the Massdrop/Sennheiser DT177X headphones.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-beyerdynamic-dt177x-go-headphones

May 8, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 7
The Denon D2000 used Fostex drivers.
But there are many good headphones on the market.
You might consider replacing (selling off) the FiiO E17, it's design is over 8 years old (as is the DAC chip is uses).
Check out the Schiit Fulla 3 DAC/amp ($100), much newer DAC chip and more powerful headphone amplifier.
And check out the Massdrop/Sennheiser DT177X headphones.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-beyerdynamic-dt177x-go-headphones

Yeah I read about the Fostex drivers in Denon phones. You mentioned that there are many good headphones - got any more at the top of your head that would be a contender?

True enough about the headphone amp. I'll definitely look into an upgrade, but my FiiO is still working perfectly.

I gave the BT DT177X a look - seems to be highly rated phones, my issue is that I live in Canada and from what I can tell, the shipping along with import fees and duties are absurd and definitely a deterent. Would really prefer a brand/model that I can buy that has locations here, or at least reasonable shipping costs.

Aside from that, a common theme on Massdrop is that so many headphones are out of stock (a lot of the really popular ones of course), so the lack of availability doesn't offer many choices, lol.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 7
It would help to know what brands and model of headphones you have access to buy?

May 8, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 7
It would help to know what brands and model of headphones you have access to buy?

A lot of the well-known brands I would imagine such as Focal, Audeze, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Denon, Fostex, Grado, Sony, Beyerdynamic, and so on.

I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to find the right pair for me. I mean my budget isn't out of this world at $500-600, but I'm sure there has to be at least a few good choices that suit my preferences and can be bought from many different retailers instead of just Massdrop (with its stock issues).

I'm also unsure if I'd prefer Open or Closed phones at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back