Need new cans! Any ideas?
Jun 23, 2020 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shotland

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! Here's the quick scoop. I have a Schiit Asgard 3, Schiit Bimby, and a set of Grado sr225e cans as well as some Koss Porta Pros (yes, with the taxi pads).

I absolutely LOVE the koss phones because they're such a damn joy to listen to, but they lack fine detail, punch, and quickness. I used to love my Grados because they had all of what the Koss was missing, but now that I've been spoiled by the eargasms that the Koss offers, I can't stand how bright and fatiguing te Grados are!

I want to sell the Grados for another set of critical listeners. My budget is 400 bucks. Here's what I want from the new cans:

- open back
- sweet, rich, unfatiguing sound
- punch, detail, quickness

I basically want the pleasure of my Koss phones, with the "ability" of my Grados for 400. Any options out there?

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 5
1..HiFiMan HE400i..About $175.00...
2..HiFiMan Sundara $350.00...There are lengthy threads here on both..Be warned though,they scale up beautifully so be prepared to fall down the rabbit hole hahahaha..

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 5
My budget is 400 bucks. Here's what I want from the new cans:

- open back
- sweet, rich, unfatiguing sound
- punch, detail, quickness
A tall order. At this price point youre going to find most fast,detailed HPs to also be bright and fatiguing.
Sweet,rich and punchy at this price point isnt going to be your last word in quickness/speed.

The best HP I can think of that fits that description is the old HE-500,which has been discontinued by HiFiMan,so buying used would be necessary. I would check to see if your amp can drive them though. They need a fair amount of juice to sound good.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 5
The best HP I can think of that fits that description is the old HE-500,which has been discontinued by HiFiMan,so buying used would be necessary. I would check to see if your amp can drive them though. They need a fair amount of juice to sound good.

Yeah I looked at those for a minute.. hard to find!

What do you guys think of the HE 4xx? That's another set I've been hearing rave reviews about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back