Need LOD guidance, Glow Audio One amp - 2nd Gen iTouch
Jan 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

3in2out

New Head-Fier
Ok, complete noob here.

I recently bought a Glow Audtio One amp to hook up to my home setup for 2 channel music. Im just getting into more headphone stuff...only have a set of KSC75s and some PortaPros at the moment.

Anyways, I have a 8G 2nd gen iTouch that I want use for the audio source for the...Ill just load certain high bit rate stuff on it for when I want to use the tube amp.

The Glow Audio amp has inputs via USB and stereo RCA connections. My problem is, any of the LOD I come across the audio out is via the mini plug, but the amp doesnt have an input for that. Maybe Im wrong, but I would assume the USB on say the pocketdock is only for charging and isnt a audio out that I can use for the amp.

So one, is there a LOD for the 2gen iTouch that uses USB for an audio out instead of the mini plug? Not sure if there is anything on the market for that, or if its even feasible. Like I said, Im a noob.

I was thinking Id like to go with a USB connection to reduce the amount of connections between the source and amp.

Which brings up question number two...I could use any normal LOD with a mini out for the audio and then use a mini to stereo RCA cable to hook things up to the amp. Would there be much if any audio quality loss by going this route?

I also have an iPhone 4S that I wouldnt mind being able to use in the same LOD, but its really not a breaking point a LOD, even more so if one uses USB as an audio out.

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 2
I've looked for the same thing, but all the LODs out there with USB outputs only transfer data, not audio, through the LOD from an Apple item.

However, I do have extensive experience with a Glow, while using an Apple product as my exclusive source, so I can tell you the better way is to hook is using a quality LOD to a quality RCA cable with a female 1/8". 

So as you described, it goes like this:

iPod --->  LOD  --->  Cable (female 1/8" stereo to dual male RCA) --->  Glow.

I tried Glow's USB input with two different Macs and didn't find the sound nearly as good as what I just described above.  I guess that could be due to the Mac's soundcards, but I doubt it, as they were both pretty new Macs.

As for audio loss, I found the results pretty awesome with many high quality headphones. (See thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/504316/review-glow-audio-amp-one-w-denon-lawton-d2000-k701-hd650-er-4s-audio-tech-ad2000-dt880-600 ).  

At least, it's the best you could get using an Apple device as your source.  With as good as the Glow sounded, I could hardly imagine if I had had a proper source.  But then, all my music is on MP3 these days, so what's the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back