Need little to no isolation portable headphone <40
Dec 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
So, I talked with my parents, and they decided that isolation is a no go. Thye believe it's a safety concern. This means that I won't be able too use my Marshmallows as much as I had hoped.

So I'm looking for some new portable headphones/IEM. I would prefer an earbud or IEM solution, as headphones would be hard to carry around (besides, I already own a heavily modded KSC75). I would like to say that isolation IS OKAY. I just can't have too much. I should be able to hear someone call my name from 10 feet away with music on my Fuze at around 50% (sorry, I know that doesn't help, but I don't know the whole decibal stuff).

Obviously, at this price point some Yuin PK3's would be ideal. However, I'm curious about their comfort, and whether or not they ever go lower in price (maybe around December?). Also, I can't seem to justify the costs, as SQ really isn't that important (I have my KSC75's for that, I just want some comfort). I can take my time buying these anyway.

The J2's also interest me, as I've heard that they have some pretty low isolation.

I listen to a wide variety of music. Classical, rock, rap, R&B, you name it.

Thanks in advance you guys.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I talked with my parents, and they decided that isolation is a no go. Thye believe it's a safety concern. This means that I won't be able too use my Marshmallows as much as I had hoped.

So I'm looking for some new portable headphones/IEM. I would prefer an earbud or IEM solution, as headphones would be hard to carry around (besides, I already own a heavily modded KSC75). I would like to say that isolation IS OKAY. I just can't have too much. I should be able to hear someone call my name from 10 feet away with music on my Fuze at around 50% (sorry, I know that doesn't help, but I don't know the whole decibal stuff).

Obviously, at this price point some Yuin PK3's would be ideal. However, I'm curious about their comfort, and whether or not they ever go lower in price (maybe around December?). Also, I can't seem to justify the costs, as SQ really isn't that important (I have my KSC75's for that, I just want some comfort). I can take my time buying these anyway.

The J2's also interest me, as I've heard that they have some pretty low isolation.

I listen to a wide variety of music. Classical, rock, rap, R&B, you name it.

Thanks in advance you guys.

I would stick to the ksc75. If you want more comfort, i would try the headband mod. You can also put some px100 headband on it too.search KOSSHEISER for the px100 headband mod.

The comfort on pk3 is more than the ksc75 though.
Get the pk3 if ultra portability is a must. pk3 and ksc are BOTH open so isolation is about the same, with pk3 being a tad bit more isolating when PLAYING music because it is closer to your ear.

I would stick the koss ksc75 and save the $39 (pk3s are already on sale at head-direct, i doubt the price will lower).

EDIT: pl30 has very little isolation also if you want a phone with more bass. They don't fully isolate but are listenable even on the streets with my ipod on 50% volume. Those are also a great deal for the money.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mambo5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...)with pk3 being a tad bit more isolating when PLAYING music because it is closer to your ear.

Hm, I don't believe that. It doesn't isolate at all whether it's playing or not.

Jonas

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, I don't believe that. It doesn't isolate at all whether it's playing or not.

Jonas

I think he has mistaken masking for isolation.

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 11
I already have a headband modded KSC75 and it's fantastic. However, it isn't very attractive, nor portable, and it tends to be a little too fragile. So that's why I"m in search of some new IEMs/Earbuds. The Soundmagic sounds nice, as long as it has low isolation. I still don't know about the J2. Any other opinions?

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 11
So, how do Gummys compare with the PK3? Wait, nevermind, I think I already know the answer. Still... are the Gummy's very comfortable?

I think IEMs would be better, as my Headband KSC75s would be too similar to the PK3s. How much isolation does the PL-30? I think the Marshmallow is 20dB...so something less than that?

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 11
The comfort of any earbuds depends on the shape of your ears. I found that they worked best with thicker foams and positioned to aim into the ear canal. Using audio-technica/creative foams they have a similar sound signature to the pk3's , but not as detailed with a narrower soundstage.
PL-30's are generally not as isolating as marshmallows, but that depends on the tips you use and the type of seal you get. The foams and biflanges isolate the most and are close to the marshmallows, the single flange silicones not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back