Need legit headphones. Got $150
Mar 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

RalphLauren 93

New Head-Fier
So tomorrow I'm going to Frys or Best Buy to get me some headphones and I want some legit headphones.
I want earphones and I listen to mostly dubstep techno trance etc.....
So the bass needs to be legit and be able to listen to all those nice sound dubstep has.I have around $160 to spend  I'm thinking of getting the Beats Tours but I'm still undecided. 
I was referred to this forum because I heard you guys are headphones experts.Please give me your opinions.
And I would prefer no Beats haters because I happen to see a lot of those but your honest opinions are appreciated 
Thanks!

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 23
Do you want headphones or earphones? since the tours are earphones and scottie584 just linked you a thread about fullsize headphones. You may want to specify whether you want a certain type in particular, or you don't mind either format.

On another note, might want to use some more proper terminology than 'legit'. For all the different annoying ways it can mean other things, I can only want to think "I don't want fakes" right now.

P.S. I don't know anything about Frys but in general BestBuy may not have a good selection. May want to consider a trip to an audio shop of some sort. (disclaimer: speaking about BestBuy based on the assumption that the US stores do not offer THAT huge of a larger variety than the Canadian stores...which is probably not the case)

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 23
Maybe 2 legit to quit like MC Hammer. I think Hammer looks more like Ludacris than Dr.Dre. Therefore souls. 

Edit: On a more serious note. Link to ljoker's epic earphone thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-225-iems-compared-id-america-spark-ue-super-fi-4-added-02-26-12

Just for fun I went through the sound quality score and the Monster Beats Tours handily beats every earphone in the $0-$15 category with the lone exception of the monoprice based on the rating. Thats higher sound quality than 20 out 21 earphones, People need to stop exaggerating, this proves they aren't that bad.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Tours don't retail for $0-$15. And nobody says the Tours are bad. They aren't great, but for a basshead IEM they're pretty good. Unlike their fullsize range.

Bass isn't really my thing, but just for technical knowledge - can IEMs out-produce bass heavy headphones like say the sony XB series? I would have thought they would run into physical limitations. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 23
For a bit cheaper there's actually the hisoundaudio Popo also. There are a lot of reviews being made right now, and more to come. Doubt you can buy it other than from online for now.
While I am far from trying a lot of IEMs, these are definitely bass heavy with a nice seal (important for bass), and actually rumble in my ears. Not sure of it being 'the best', but quite a bit of bass. Controlled, but not tight. On faster tracks The bass might not actually decay fast enough. Worth checking out. For a lot of bass I also liked the extra bass Audio-Technica IEMs but I don't know of their availability outside of Japan.

Joker's IEMS thread is a very good place to start. If you don't mind something a bit more on the budget side, you can check out this uber long thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-thermaltake-isurus-the-philips-she3580-the-iem-discovery-thread
Sometimes price isn't everything! Dsnuts has many of these. Cheap priced but great sounding threads.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 23
Based on your listening and budget, why not try the Shure SE215.  Spend the extra $50 on some legit music.... or even an entry level amp (PA2V2 or a Cmoy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back