Need Legal advice. Work accident.
Aug 25, 2008 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
I had a accident on the job a few weeks ago. I was at work and I passed out. I hit my head on a fridge when I feel. It did leave a scar.. I was rushed by paramedics to the ER. My HR & blood pressure were sky hi. They even cut of my work shirt incase I needed CPR.. My question.. Isn't it my employers responsibility to cover the hospital bill. I am insured under BB, and happened on the clock.. But my own insurance was billed? I the hospital claims I owe them 2,800, that MY insurance didn't cover.. Suggestions?

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 9
wow!

hope you're okay now. i would think your employer would cover this, but not sure about the law in that area and workers comp varies state per state. i would definitely try to talk to someone who knows something about this.

good luck.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Was it unreasonably hot there or were you overworked/overstressed at the time or some other work related reason that made you pass out? If so, I'd consider the employer liable.

If not, and there was something wrong with you that caused you to pass out, how is that the employer's fault? (BP & HR were sky high)

Just wondering how this is a workman's comp claim?

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 9
I had the exact same thing happen to me last year, it even cost almost the same amount of money.
Advice: start paying now, so you don't have your wages garnished.

I do know exactly how you feel, if it's of any consolation.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was it unreasonably hot there or were you overworked/overstressed at the time or some other work related reason that made you pass out? If so, I'd consider the employer liable.

If not, and there was something wrong with you that caused you to pass out, how is that the employer's fault? (BP & HR were sky high)

Just wondering how this is a workman's comp claim?

About 10 years ago i was distracted and ran a red light. I was young(er) and stupid(er) and hadn't acquired insurance for the beater i was driving. It was a very expensive experience.

The lady who hit me was on her way back to work after her lunch break, driving her own vehicle, and her ride to the hospital and a doctor to tell her that she was fine, and some visits to her chiropractor, were somehow a workman's comp claim. Don't ask me how or why.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 9
I would definetly file a workmans compensation claim w/ your employer. But do start putting some money aside in case ...

It is better to set up a payment plan with the hospital than have your wages garnished. Chances are that if it escalates to your wages being garnished it would be reflected in your credit report.

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Sounds like it isn't the employers fault which means you probably will have to, and should eat ti up yourself (pay for it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back