need jazz and techno recs
Oct 27, 2004 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
can someone reccomend some classic jazz and also perhaps some techno cd's for me. my collection has two big holes in these areas.

i've heard: miles davis "kind of blue" which got stolen and i MUST buy again. if i find the guy who stole that one, he's a dead man

Oct 27, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 6
If you meant actual "techno," that's a small sub-genre. I'm assuming you meant electronica, its parent genre.

That said, there are some artists out there that mix "jazz" with "electronica" to produce trip-hop, if you're into that kind of thing. Some of them are Thievery Corporation, early Massive Attack (Blue Lines and Protection), Air, Nightmares on Wax, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Tosca, Dining Rooms...

Oct 28, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 6
I love classic jazz and have over 300 classic jazz albums. There are so many great albums that it is hard to select a few favorites. With jazz it's a better idea to go by artist, I think. Louis Armstrong, Lester Young, Billy Holiday, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz, Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins, Chet Baker, John Coltrane, etc. You can't go wrong with most anything from these guys (IMO.) Also, look for good record labels, such as Verve, Pacific Jazz, Impulse, Blue Note, etc.

Good luck in your hunt for good jazz.
icon10.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 6
In terms of compilation/mix albums, I'd definitely recommend Kruder and Dorfmeister - The K&D Sessions... I think it's widely considered as one of the best in the genre. You may also want to check out Journeys By DJ - Coldcut... it's a fairly mixed CD, but probably moving outside of electronica, but a goodie. Nightmares on Wax (as mentioned above) is also a strong recommendation.

As for Jazz, I'd also recommend John Coltranes - A Love Supreme, particularly the recent remaster, it sounds great. I'm also a big fan of Bill Evans, in particular, Sunday at the Village Vanguard. For vocal stuff, you should definitely check out Louis Armstrong plays W. C. Handy, definitely one of my favourite albums now.

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 6
Miles Davis - Round About Midnight, Porgy & Bess, Kind Of Blue, Sketchs Of Spain, Cookin' & Steamin' (Miles Davis Quintet)
Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert
John Coltrane - Blue Train, My Favourite Things
Chris Bowden - Slightly Askew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back