need integrated amp recommendations
Sep 4, 2002 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jim

100+ Head-Fier
hey all, haven't been around for a while. But now that I'm back, I saw the K1000 deal posted, and you fools convinced me to buy a pair.
biggrin.gif

So now I have a problem...I'm going to need a better amp than my denon mini-system to drive these things. I'm looking for something in the $500ish (used) range, preferably tube, and even better if it has a pretty good headphone output. Currently my top choices are the Nohr SE9 (new) and the ASL 1003dt, but I don't think either of them have headphone outputs. I already have the mg head, and I think if I want to buy another amp, I should probably get rid of the head, so that's why I wanted a decent headphone output. In anycase, I'm open to solid state recommendations as well, but I really like the warmness of tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm looking for something that does very well with vocals and string instruments, and also has good response.

Another possibility....I have an old Marantz 180 power amp, but no preamp. Currently the marantz is just sitting unused. Would it be worthwhile to get a preamp and use this instead? Maybe the new ASL LH-01 would be in order? Has anyone heard the LH-01?

thanks!

(edit: actually, I have the marantz 140 . My bad. )

Sep 4, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 4
You might try to find an old Sansui solid state. Another idea would be a Melos SHA-1 and a pair of ASL Wave-8 power amps. Nice combination, not outrageously over your budget and the headphone output doesn't get much better at any price.

(There's a Sansui AU 7700 on eBay ending in about 7 hours, currently at $78 or so! That would drive K1000 very nicely. I grew up with one of these in the living room.)

Sep 4, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I think you connect the K1000 directly to the speaker terminals of an amp. Here's a link to a review of the K1000 with the nOrh SE9 and the Antique Sound Lab MG SI-15 dt:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/akg/follow-up.html

Original review of AKG K1000:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/akg/k1000_1.html

I think the nOrh SE9 looks very appealing on paper. 8 watts, single-ended pentode, and no negative feedback for $400. It just came out though, so there aren't many reviews on it yet.

Sep 6, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, my new headphones come tomorrow. Can't wait! I'll use my minisystem to power them for now, until I can get the marantz amp which is back at home right now. Can the MG Head be used as a preamp to the marantz, at least as a temporary solution?

Also, I'm still open to any more amp suggestions.... Which ASL integrated amps have headphone outputs? Anyone know?

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back