Need info on Sony MDR-V150
Feb 23, 2007 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mrjeffndenver

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if there was anyone here who had info on the Sony MDR-V150 model headphones. My current pair (which I know for sure is Sony) has gone through more than a decade of abuse (being chewed on by my brothers' dog, being stepped on, etc.) and has worked great, but now the wires are all tangled and warped, and rather than try to fix it, I wanted to buy new ones. Well, I purchased the model MDR-V150 because it very closely resembles the ones I own. I guess the reason I am asking for info on this model is because I want to be sure I got the right ones.

Now, I've already read a few posts on here relating to that model, but to be completely truthful, I've not had a problem with them. They've more or less had a problem with me and my family... LOL. I've really liked this model, and wouldn't want to go with anything else. It gives me satisfactory enjoyment out of my music play, and I seriously wouldn't want to go with anything else to find out I don't get the same "feel" as I do with these.

So, I need to know the following. Actually, I'll be more specific. I need to know WHEN they were manufactured. What date (month/year or just year)? The ones I have I got around 1997 (I think), so I'm guessing either that or plus/minus a year or two in manufacturing. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance.
~jeffrey

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Umm... these are known as sounding like poo and not doing much better in the comfort department.
blink.gif
(This is a bottom-of-the-line model in the MDR-Vxxx line, and the other models aren't Sony's best effort either.) You could get something *much* better. Specify a budget, typical uses (which would affect isolation requirements etc.) and what kind of music you like, and it won't be too hard to find something. For home use where's nice and quiet, the usual suspects would be KSC-75, PX100 or PortaPro (possible UR-40), for portable use one would be looking at some in-ears (discussed frequently enough here) or K81DJs.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjeffndenver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if there was anyone here who had info on the Sony MDR-V150 model headphones. My current pair (which I know for sure is Sony) has gone through more than a decade of abuse (being chewed on by my brothers' dog, being stepped on, etc.) and has worked great, but now the wires are all tangled and warped, and rather than try to fix it, I wanted to buy new ones. Well, I purchased the model MDR-V150 because it very closely resembles the ones I own. I guess the reason I am asking for info on this model is because I want to be sure I got the right ones.

Now, I've already read a few posts on here relating to that model, but to be completely truthful, I've not had a problem with them. They've more or less had a problem with me and my family... LOL. I've really liked this model, and wouldn't want to go with anything else. It gives me satisfactory enjoyment out of my music play, and I seriously wouldn't want to go with anything else to find out I don't get the same "feel" as I do with these.

So, I need to know the following. Actually, I'll be more specific. I need to know WHEN they were manufactured. What date (month/year or just year)? The ones I have I got around 1997 (I think), so I'm guessing either that or plus/minus a year or two in manufacturing. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance.
~jeffrey

That particular model has only been around since 1998 or 1999. Undoubtedly, it's a poor value at its average going price of about $20. It is one of the worst-sounding mid-sized headphones that I've listened to recently.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 7
You are better off going to some cheap electronics store and buying something from Coby.

The MDRV150 really doesn't sound good, as a matter of fact, I haven't heard of anything sounding good that begins with MDRV other than the MDRV6.

Some better ones are the HD202 (great sound) or UR21 (great sound, only $15, have to wear slanted--weird fit), two headphones I recommend to anyone shopping around 20 or 30 dollars.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 7
If you want clarity get HD201. If you are the type of person who likes lots of bass and then some more get the HD202 like the guy above me said.

I don't agree with the Coby rec because Koss 'phones will probably be around the same cost but still sound better.

The Sony XD series might work for you as well.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofreak7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are better off going to some cheap electronics store and buying something from Coby.

sarcasm
600smile.gif

Anyhow, I haven't heard anything under $30 better than the HD202 or UR21. The HD201 is a little bright in my opinion, and therefore I prefer the 202s. But I guess this is trivial/based on your preference.

The HD202 gives out a great mid range and clarity, but sound a bit bass heavy.

The HD201 gives out a more neutral sound but sound a little bright.

The UR21 gives out great bass and clarity but the midrange can get heavy at higher volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back