Need info on protable amp sold by Minidisco
Feb 27, 2002 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

srapps55

100+ Head-Fier
Minidisco has a portable battery powered amp they sell for $85. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Feb 27, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 8
I think it's popped up a few times in discussion here, and the general concensus has been that it sucks. I forget the name, but do a search for it and you'll find more info.

Dave

Feb 27, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 8
It's the Headbanger. I have one and, even if I don't like it anymore, I have to say that it's better than the headphones jack of my SL-SX500, which sounds very harsh on my MS-1's. The Headbanger has better bass, but that's it. In reality, I only keep it because the headphones jack and volume on my player are screwed up. I also use it at home with my PC, and sound better than the headphone out of my JBL speakers. I'll say it sounds like a good headphone jack, and that's about it.

But you can get something way better for around the same amount of money you can get a PortaCorda or a Total Airhead, both with crossfed, or get fellow headfier JMT to make you a very good amp.

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks dcg and Onix. Did not think the thing would be that bad. Onix, I thought the TA was more like $160, that's why I did not consider it. Don't know much about the Porta Corda, other than not being enthused about having something shipped from Germany. Do either of you know how much JMT charges for his Altoids amp? You can PM the details.

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 8
Shoot a PM to JMT and he'll send you a quote. I may have both a Total Airhead and a JMT amp for sale in a day or two (as well as some other stuff), so keep an eye on the for sale forum if you're interested.

Dave

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 8
the headbanger was designed to be a cheapo headphone amp that could be built for a very low price with rat shack parts (i wouldn't pay $85 for it). search headwize, and you can find lots of info on this amp.

Feb 28, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 8
how do I find the JMT guy?

Feb 28, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 8
click the "members" button on the top of the screen and you'll be able to look him up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back