Need Info Music Hall CD-25 Ultimate
Dec 7, 2004 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ru4music

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone have any info/feedback/review regarding the Music Hall CD-25 Ultimate mod. from Sound Odyssey? I'm looking for a red book/HDCD player possibly in the $1k - $3K price range. Constructive thoughts?

HD650s/CARDAS/WooAudio3

Dec 12, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks, I have been playing phone tag with Brice but have yet to hook up with him. Would you know if this mod. will play both excellent and poorer quality recorded CDs? My concerns are that this mod. may over expose a "so-so" quality CD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagosaku
Talked with Brice at Sound Odyssey.

He says that The output transformers provide even more transparency and detail than the Zap-Filter.

Hope this helps.

Dec 12, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 19
You'll hear the warts and all I'm sure. I can certainly tell who wasn't producing too great of an album. Poorly-done live stuff can sound pretty crappy. I have a "Best Of" Stevie Ray Vaughn that sounds egdy and has some great raw energy by Stevie, but clearly it went through some serious attack/release compression stuff in its post-production back in the 80s.

I think its more a matter of really enjoying the greatly-produced music you're sure to find and pop in there. Makes listening to well-recorded stuff so engaging. And the lesser stuff you just appreciate it for what its worth as they can sometimes have thier own charm...I suppose.
evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Thinking about this issue again, I don't think any good source is going to smooth over anything that sounds bad. I would rather leave that up to an amplifier. FWIW, another Head-Fi'er (chumley), who owns a Meridan G08, posted that he thought that the SO MH sounded warmer than his G08. Go figure. I would much rather hear the bad stuff on a source that sounds less grainy and digital than on a source that has these qualities.

Dec 12, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 19
What about an Eastern Electric MiniMax CD player? I just got one of these myself and my initial impression is it seems to be a clear step up from the Rega Planet 2000 and I've heard others who prefer a stock MiniMax to a Level 1 modified Jolida. The MiniMax has a tube output stage so you can fine tune the sound to your preference through tuberolling as well.

Right now they are on sale during the holidays for $750 (regular direct pricing is $899) which just seems like a silly good bargain considering the build and sound quality plus it also has an internal headphone amp that just might make an external amp redundant. If mods are your thing Underwood Hi Fi offers a couple of packages starting at $650 for a retrofit.

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 19
Yes, I've heard good things about the MiniMax too.

My thoughts are since I am pairing up with a WA3 amp which has a preamp, driver and output amplifier stage (ironic that I'm listening to DOCTOR WU by Steely Dan as I write this (Wei Wu builds the WA3)) that the transformer output of the MH CD-25 should really sing in this combo. It seems to me that all my dollars would go (100%) towards music quality as opposed to some great features not necessarily needed for this configuration.

Quote:

Guess Brice mentioed Jolida as OS offers the brand.

Eastern Electric MiniMax CD sounds great.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...a/winning.html

Dec 13, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 19
Not yet, but I will!

Quote:

Were you able to talk with Brice?
My CD-25 Ultimate should be coming soon.

Dec 13, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
You'll hear the warts and all I'm sure. I can certainly tell who wasn't producing too great of an album. Poorly-done live stuff can sound pretty crappy. I have a "Best Of" Stevie Ray Vaughn that sounds egdy and has some great raw energy by Stevie, but clearly it went through some serious attack/release compression stuff in its post-production back in the 80s.

I think its more a matter of really enjoying the greatly-produced music you're sure to find and pop in there. Makes listening to well-recorded stuff so engaging. And the lesser stuff you just appreciate it for what its worth as they can sometimes have thier own charm...I suppose.
evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Thinking about this issue again, I don't think any good source is going to smooth over anything that sounds bad. I would rather leave that up to an amplifier. FWIW, another Head-Fi'er (chumley), who owns a Meridan G08, posted that he thought that the SO MH sounded warmer than his G08. Go figure. I would much rather hear the bad stuff on a source that sounds less grainy and digital than on a source that has these qualities.

Let's put it this way. The SO L3 modded MH CD-25 has the ability to ruthlessly expose * almost * everything thats wrong with a bad or mediocre recording, yet showcase those essential and hard to extract qualities in a good or great recording while remaining true to its accurate, transparent, mission, all things being equal with recoding, amp, headphones and interconnects. These things it does with all kinds of music, in CD and HDCD formats, and does it with a fluidity and almost analog realism that will take your breath away. And that's not even with the new SO L4 mod, let alone the G08! The G08's ability to resolve fine details while providing precise spacial placement of all sound sources with a natural, smooth, critical accuracy surpasses all but a few of the <$10k CDPs I've heard... but for $1k to $1.5k for a L3 or L4 SO modded Music Hall, you get fairly close to the G08. No exaggeration. Nothing I've heard, modded or unmodded, from Jolida, ML, Wadia or Eastern Electric gets as close to the G08, IMO.

Dec 13, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
Let's put it this way. The SO L3 modded MH CD-25 has the ability to ruthlessly expose * almost * everything thats wrong with a bad or mediocre recording, yet showcase those essential and hard to extract qualities in a good or great recording while remaining true to its accurate, transparent, mission, all things being equal with recoding, amp, headphones and interconnects. These things it does with all kinds of music, in CD and HDCD formats, and does it with a fluidity and almost analog realism that will take your breath away. And that's not even with the new SO L4 mod, let alone the G08! The G08's ability to resolve fine details while providing precise spacial placement of all sound sources with a natural, smooth, critical accuracy surpasses all but a few of the <$10k CDPs I've heard... but for $1k to $1.5k for a L3 or L4 SO modded Music Hall, you get fairly close to the G08. No exaggeration. Nothing I've heard, modded or unmodded, from Jolida, ML, Wadia or Eastern Electric gets as close to the G08, IMO.

I'll let you know how good the G08 is when I get it. Well I need a second headphone system
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 13, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I'll let you know how good the G08 is when I get it. Well I need a second headphone system
very_evil_smiley.gif

Can't wait to hear what you're hearin, GRW!...
icon10.gif

Dec 13, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker

I have found that good sources do make bad recordings more listenable, while not obscuring any of the details. I've certainly found this to be the case with my player, which uses a transformer based analogue stage and has a new clock in it. I also plan on comparing it to a merdian g08 before New Years to see how they compare.

The key to making bad recordings good, is to rid every single component in the chain of sibilance. I find the source is the best place to start.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back