Need inexpensive (~$100) noise cancelling headphones
Mar 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Annirak

Head-Fier
I need a recommendation for a set of noise cancelling headphones for about $100.  They need to be circumaural.  What is my best bet for that price range?  Does being in London make a difference?

Thanks

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Well, what pairs have you owned, when i am using my 840's and the volume is at normal lvls, (80db?) they block out most noise, unless you have like a 3 hour commute on a sub, then maybe you need active. Passive is pretty good.

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 11
I have a pair of SRH750DJ, which aren't quite good enough for the 8.5 hour flight I'll be taking at the end of the week.  I know this because they weren't enough when I took an 8-hour flight at the beginning of the week.  I've also tried SRH440's and found the noise cancellation to be only on the order of 1-2dB difference compatred to the SRH750DJ.  It still isn't enough for a long flight with lots of airplane noise and chatting passengers.

I've tried Bose QC15's in a store and found that they made a very high pitched sound, which was irritating, if that's at all helpful to anyone making suggestions.

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I have a pair of SRH750DJ, which aren't quite good enough for the 8.5 hour flight I'll be taking at the end of the week.  I know this because they weren't enough when I took an 8-hour flight at the beginning of the week.  I've also tried SRH440's and found the noise cancellation to be only on the order of 1-2dB difference compatred to the SRH750DJ.  It still isn't enough for a long flight with lots of airplane noise and chatting passengers.

I've tried Bose QC15's in a store and found that they made a very high pitched sound, which was irritating, if that's at all helpful to anyone making suggestions.

Basically active cancelling will never give you high quality sound and the bose QC15's are evidence of that, though they are good cans for the right customer. Passive or an IEM would be my recommendation, I really wish I could give you another answer.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd suggest you look at Etymotic's IEMs if you're going for noise blocking. Yes it's not a full size headphone but the noise isolation is really good, far above ANC. The only downside is that you have to shove a triple flange tip into your ears, though it's not as bad as it sounds. 35dB, and up to 42 with the foam tips. Which effectively mutes your surroundings to a whisper.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Jvc HANC250's. For around $100 sound quality is ok. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back