Need IEM's under $100 with sound characteristics like DT770 80Ohm
Mar 22, 2015 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheFragileOne

Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi, I recently picked up a pair of Havi B3 Pro 1's for my daily use around my University and on hikes and such. The left earpiece stopped working on Friday as I was walking home and it would only work again when I pushed the cable a certain way near the 3.5mm jack. This could be caused because I drop my phone often and I catch it with the cable from the headphones. So I think that this pair of IEM's should have a detachable cable in case I break them, but it isn't a necessity. I liked everything about these IEM's except I found the bass to be slightly lacking in terms of punch especially when extending into the deeper regions. I picked up a pair of DT770 80Ohm's last summer and I've fallen in love with them. I really enjoy the deep, hard-hitting subbass it produces.

I generally listen to all genres but usually hip-hop, pop, alternative, k-pop, etc. So what I'm looking for is an IEM that resembles the DT770's V-shape but I care less about highs than subbass and vocals. Too strong of highs sometimes hurt my ears, this happens occasionally with the DT770's if I listen to them too loud. I was looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-IM50 and IM70's. I don't really like the red color of the IM70's but I'd deal with it if it's considered to have deeper and stronger subbass than the IM50's. Lachlan said they weren't super strong bass wise but I've read on here that many people think it is?

Preferably the cheaper the better but I'll go around $100 (yes, I'll probably go to $150 or so if it's worth it). You can recommend up to $200 if you feel they'd be worth it. Thanks for the help!

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm having trouble finding a response curve for them, but based purely on a subjective description I think the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear might meet your needs. I went through a number of different IEMs and they were the only ones that really felt "bassy" to me like full headphones can. I don't really know how they compare to the ATH IEMs though.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 11
  I'm having trouble finding a response curve for them, but based purely on a subjective description I think the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear might meet your needs. I went through a number of different IEMs and they were the only ones that really felt "bassy" to me like full headphones can. I don't really know how they compare to the ATH IEMs though.

"Bassy" as in mid-bass punch or sub-bass rumble? I'm more for rumble than punch.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 11
I was looking up reviews and forums for the same sound signature as the CX980 and went for the Momentum after researching for a similar sound (just ordered them today). Apparently the Momentum have more pronounced mids than highs besides their good bass so that might fit your needs as well. I'm looking for that 'rumbling' bass as well and the CX980 has that. So I'm hoping the Momentum has it as well.

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 11
  I, too, am looking for some earphones with similar sound. Here's a link to a post I made for reference.

Also, check out the HiFiMan RE-400

If you also enjoy a V-shaped signature I really wouldn't recommend the RE-400's. Those were on my considerations as well but according to everyone here they really lack the oomph that I want. Also the build quality is questionable. I haven't listened to them though but this is just what I've read. I think I've narrowed it down to the IM70 and the MA750.

I was looking up reviews and forums for the same sound signature as the CX980 and went for the Momentum after researching for a similar sound (just ordered them today). Apparently the Momentum have more pronounced mids than highs besides their good bass so that might fit your needs as well. I'm looking for that 'rumbling' bass as well and the CX980 has that. So I'm hoping the Momentum has it as well.

According to ljokerl, "The Momentum tends to be mid-recessed while the A71 is not as powerful when it comes to bass (but better for vocals). I guess the MA750 is a good compromise between them if you want to look at it that way. It’s biased a little more towards good bass than good vocals" so I think the Momentum's could be some good phones. He says the MA750 has more bass than the Sennheiser but also more bass-bloat.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 11
  If you also enjoy a V-shaped signature I really wouldn't recommend the RE-400's. Those were on my considerations as well but according to everyone here they really lack the oomph that I want. Also the build quality is questionable. I haven't listened to them though but this is just what I've read. I think I've narrowed it down to the IM70 and the MA750.

According to ljokerl, "The Momentum tends to be mid-recessed while the A71 is not as powerful when it comes to bass (but better for vocals). I guess the MA750 is a good compromise between them if you want to look at it that way. It’s biased a little more towards good bass than good vocals" so I think the Momentum's could be some good phones. He says the MA750 has more bass than the Sennheiser but also more bass-bloat.

Ah, you're right. Might have mixed it up or read something else. I just got the Momentum in-ears and it has a lot of bass indeed. I have my HD 600 amped with a boosted +2 bass, but it's still very neutral in comparison. I personally really love the bass on these, they are great for those bass heavy hip hop songs. It has a good layer seperation and the lows can really rumble in my opinion. The highs can sound a bit harsh though, but maybe cause i need to burn them in still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back