Need IEM with resistance to hiss and pops - taking suggestions
Aug 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I am looking for an IEM that will be versatile enough to use with both low and high end sources.

I am currently using Klipsch Image S4 and I hear a lot of peculiar electronic pops and hiss when I plug them into a lower end source such as a desktop computer at work or my cell phone. I have investigated solutions to this problem before and this lead me to the Hifiman RE262. It is a high impedance IEM and therefore tends to mediate the electronic pops from noisy sources. And I was generally in agreement with reviews describing it's sound signature. However it is no longer manufactured. 

As for my opinion on my current listening equipment I own
Klipsch Image S4.  Too bright and harsh - trying to move away from there overall sound. 

Grado SR225i with taped bowls. I like the sound of them, but wish they had a more bass. They are too clunky for use out of the house (read: not versatile enough) and also sensitive to the electrical hiss and pops of mickey mouse sources. 

Suggestions under $400?

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 10
I also do some amateurish voice recording for video tutorials, flash movies, and that sort of thing. And sometimes I record myself playing the acoustic guitar and singing along.

I would want the IEM's to be good for re-listening to the voice overs and guitar when I edit. Put another way, they need to work well with vocals in the form of normal and dramatic dialogue, and singing. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Your budget is $400? I suggest getting a portable dac/amp then if it's that much of a problem. You'll have more choices that way.
And it'll make it sound a bit better compared to a poor source.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 10
A Leckerton DAC/amp is always a fantastic value. That should solve noise issues without getting specialty high-impedance iem's. Even one of Fiio's DAC/amp offerings would do the job nicely. Then, you still should have plenty of cash for some great iem's.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 10
Okay, noteworthy advice - I will definitely take that under consideration.

However, I am looking specifically for something that will excel without a portable amp. A portable is  one more thing that I will have to carry around and this reduces the "versatility" I am after.  

The budget of $400 was more of an upper limit. You would hear no complaint from me if the IEM I am searching for was $100 to $200. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 10
I hear ya, believe me. The bummer is, almost all IEM's are gonna have noise if your source is the problem.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Heir Audio (though not my favorite brand after the Wizard left) has options at the top end of your price range in the Tzar 90 & 350, also you could look into impedance adapters. I have a bookmarked link on that I can post later if you want. Just some ideas I thought of.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 10
Heir Audio (though not my favorite brand after the Wizard left) has options at the top end of your price range in the Tzar 90 & 350, also you could look into impedance adapters. I have a bookmarked link on that I can post later if you want. Just some ideas I thought of.

Yes, I'd like to see the link.

I'm starting to look over reviews of the Tzar 90 - it may be a candidate. 

Do impedance adapters color the sound?

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 10
http://www.head-fi.org/t/601669/impedance-adapters-cables-explained-listed check around here and ask around to get your answers, depending on the IEM it could cause issues. IIRC an impedance adapter basically adds to the amps output impedance effectively, so while not the best solution, it might help mitigate your issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back