Need IEM recommendation (~$150 budget)
Aug 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

The RE262 and the GR07 are two very different types of earphones. While the RE262 can take it to the extreme with their mid focus, the GR07 is the opposite end of the spectrum.

To me, the GR07 is the definition of an all-rounder. Take any attribute of sound, and the GR07 will at the very least be good at it. Like all the reviews say, they are very flat and don't draw your attention to anything. One quality which I think stands out though, is the instrument separation and layering, which is very good. The soundstage is not as big and spacious as that of the RE262, but then again the RE262 seems to be special in that sense. From the reviews I read it seems like the GR07's soundstage competes well in the particular price range.

I looked at your thread and noticed that you needed something comfortable, for that I want to make a recommendation. If you can stretch your budget, I think you should consider the Westone 2, which excels in that field, especially when it comes to lying on your side.

When I arrived in my home city, I went to a specialized headphone store and auditioned the Westone 2, UM2, UM3x, and 4, among other stuff. The Westones had a quality of disappearing in my ears (particularly the smaller Westone 2, since I have small ears). I couldn't feel the Westone 2 for the entire 1,5 hours I listened to them. They also have a braided cable which is stronger than the RE262's thin glossy cable, in case you accidentally tug on it. The only possible downside is that they can only be worn over the ear.

Alternatively, I could audition the Westone 1 this weekend. They should be in your price range.

I'm glad there are some good forums out there like this one.  I have no way to audition good IEM's.  Although with that monster 250 review thread, I'm constantly revising my plans. Oh well.  Judging from some other reviews it does look like pushing the budget up to the Westone 2 would be better than going for the Westone 1.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #17 of 36
hey, like you i have read a lot about different iems and searched several threads..but i am kinda confused and could use some help!  i'm looking to spend like $250

basically i'm looking for noise isolation and ones that do not need an amp

I've heard the etymotic hf3's, but would like some with a more exciting sound than those.

I listen to a lot of rock/alternative music (311, eve 6, sum41, blink 182, etc) and some rap.

please help if you can, thanks!

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:
I'm glad there are some good forums out there like this one.  I have no way to audition good IEM's.  Although with that monster 250 review thread, I'm constantly revising my plans. Oh well.  Judging from some other reviews it does look like pushing the budget up to the Westone 2 would be better than going for the Westone 1.

I think you should try them out. If you're in the US, Amazon returns should be cheap, in case you don't like them.

The sound signature is mid-centric, and I found the bass to be quite pleasant in texture. Just be wary of the sub-bass roll off, if that's important to you. The treble is recessed, which I didn't like, but it might be a plus because it's completely non-fatiguing.

I've heard the etymotic hf3's, but would like some with a more exciting sound than those.

What is an exciting sound for you?

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #21 of 36
Is Shure SE215 a good choice? I'm interested in buying a budget IEM too. I like to have more mids and decent low, but not too much low.  As long as high is not too sharp, I'm fine with it.  Comfort and isolation are important cause I wear it for long time and for gym as well.  Any suggestions?

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:
Is Shure SE215 a good choice? I'm interested in buying a budget IEM too. I like to have more mids and decent low, but not too much low.  As long as high is not too sharp, I'm fine with it.  Comfort and isolation are important cause I wear it for long time and for gym as well.  Any suggestions?

I don't know, I haven't listened to the SE215. The store that lets you audition headphones has one unfortunate downside: it doesn't have a lot of headphones in stock (read: it doesn't have every single headphone in the world in the small room it occupies).

From your description it sounds like one of the Westones will suit you. The W2 and UM3x have a mid-centric signature with pleasant bass and recessed highs. Unless you're looking for something under $200?

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
I don't know, I haven't listened to the SE215. The store that lets you audition headphones has one unfortunate downside: it doesn't have a lot of headphones in stock (read: it doesn't have every single headphone in the world in the small room it occupies).

From your description it sounds like one of the Westones will suit you. The W2 and UM3x have a mid-centric signature with pleasant bass and recessed highs. Unless you're looking for something under $200?

W2/UM3x are over my budget.  I am looking for something around $150. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Shure SE-215 meets the needs of isolation, comfort, unsharp highs, lush mids, decent lows that are not too much low.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:
zloy loup

okay - i would describe it as that i would like some more bass (and maybe a stronger sound) - but without drowning out the nice detail that is present when using the etymotic hf3s

I haven't listened to headphones that would fit what you are looking for, but the DBA-02 seems to be pretty analytical with some bass presence. Or do you want something with emphasized bass?

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:
Thanks for the advise!

How does SE215 compare to GR07?  Seems like this forum is big on GR07.  Does it worth extra $50 to upgrade?

If the SE215 has lush mids and tame highs, you'll get none of that on the GR07. It's very neutral. The highs aren't excessive but they definitely aren't recessed. The mids are ever so slightly on the dry side. The bass is, just like everything else, neutral.

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:
Thanks for the advise!

How does SE215 compare to GR07?  Seems like this forum is big on GR07.  Does it worth extra $50 to upgrade?

You need to make that call on your own. By the way, it's $100.00 to upgrade; SE215 runs a hundred or less depending upon where you get them.

SE-215 just happen to tick every box in your preference list which is why I contributed. I owned GR07 and eventually returned them. I liked them, but owned too many IEM's at that moment and the pocket book spoke; GR07 went because I was never sure about my feelings about them. SE215 I owned in the beginning of my IEM explorations, returned those, then like a year (and many IEM's later), I re-bought SE215 recently because in retrospect they fulfilled a particular purpose well.

I never owned a custom, but I imagine that the SE215, in the way they happen to fit me, is what a custom might feel like. Not even the vaunted olive isolation; the silicone tips do a wonderful job of shutting out the world on trains and subways. Pop them in, no adjusting or fiddling. Done. Phone yappers fade away; as does the annoying loudspeaker directions on the railroad.

This is not critical listening, mind you, but a satisfying fun sound and a bass rumble that survives New York street's ever-present low frequency tremors. One day I might re-buy the GR07, if I keep reading the superlatives in the threads. 
smile.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #30 of 36
ok thanks zoy loup...ya i do not something with bass preference, i just don't want there to be very little bass...the dba-02's are ones that i was looking into, so maybe that'd be a good match

thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back