Need IEM Help!
Dec 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aaron94

100+ Head-Fier
My mother wants to get my father a pair of IEMs for Christmas and I dont really know what to look for based on the genres he listens to. Now I already made a post like this but since this the budget changed and I require a lesser valued pair.

He listens to alot of different genres but mainly he enjoys a select few most of the time.

1. Bluegrass
  2. Folk
  3. Classic Rock (Marshall Tucker Band, ZZ Top, Crosby Stills Nash & Yound)

Since my first post, as I mentioned, the budget has changed from aroun $100 to anywhere from $40 - $75, not exceeding the max would be optimal. 

He is not concerned at all with the way they look, he is however concerned with comfort. The main issue you is emphasizing is he wants a pair that will stay in his ear, he uses the largest silicone type on his current IEMs and they dont always stay in. If possible ear hooks that may be included in the package would be very helpful. He will also be traveling around with them, so a carrying case will also help.

Just to help, here is the song my father says is the "best rock song ever made". 

Thank you for your help, I eagerly await your opinions!

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Hmmmm if you could stretch to $100 I would say SE215's all the way, they are like the best all around headphones. Earphonesoulutions often has 10,15 and 20% off coupons bringing it down to $85 or $80ish, plus they have a 2 year warranty.

If you absolutely can't go over $75 I really don't know. The Sennheiser CX300-II's were great if you can still find them but don't block out much noise for an IEM. Other wise all I know is cheaper stuff like the Skullcandy titan's, they are actually not bad at all for around $25 but I would take the 215's over them any day.

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Oh and about the fit issue.

1. Tell him to try smaller tips with the largest ones he might not actually be getting them in far enough, use common sense but I use the smallest tips and most of my stuff but maybe he has huge ears idk.

2. Try foam tips, the 215's come with them.

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Main issue I see with the 215s is the removable IEM. I can clearly forsee him losing one of them , and I do not see where they sell a single side of the IEMs for lost ones...

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 8
You mean the removable cables? That's encase the cable goes bad you can replace them and not the whole thing, and believe my I own them they will not accidentally come off you have to pull and pull and pull its very difficult to get them apart.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 8
My mother bought him a $60 adapter that enables him to play the music from his iPhone or Kidle through the radio. So I think she may want to stick to the maximum of $75

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Additional Info.

My dad really likes the idea of the inline controls, which the SE215s do not have, the cable to get them is an extra $50 and that way exceeds the budget.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Additional Info.

My dad really likes the idea of the inline controls, which the SE215s do not have, the cable to get them is an extra $50 and that way exceeds the budget.

Yeah that is an issue.

The only 2 I can think of are the Klipsch S4i-II's and Sennheiser CX300-II's maybe someone else can comment.

You know the Monster Jamz with control talk can be had for around $70? There good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back