Need IEM Help
Apr 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Eberle125

New Head-Fier
I am 17 and like to have my headphones in all the time. I listen to rap, rock, metal, dubstep, hardstyle, techno, trance, etc.(and sometimes country) I am looking for a good pair of in-ear earbuds that have lots of bass but not breaking the wallet. Don't really care the brand or anything. Just wanting lots of bass, with no distortion, but also good sound quality. I really don't wann venture outside of $60. Does anyone have suggestions, comments, etc?

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 22
I love the $25 Panasonic RP-HJE450. It is ergonomically shaped with oval nozzles and fits so well, and is so comfortable. It has strong bass that sounds natural and nice detail. It doesn't isolate well though as it is ported.

I guess some will recommend the Audio Technica ATH-CKS55(around $60?).

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 22
I don't have the Audio Technica ATH-CKS55 yet. It is on my to buy list when I find it at a good price. The $25 Audio Technica ATH-CKM50 is also well liked, although the sound quality is said to not be as refined. The Panasonic RP-HJE450 satisfies me soundwise and comfortwise, however at times I wish it had better isolation.

The Yamaha EPH-50 also looks interesting. I might buy it if I could find it for under $60.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
My thing is, I don't wanna buy something and then not like it and be stuck with it. Being jobless, $60 is a little bit to spend on something that I don't like.

Here's the best place to start, http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-236-iems-compared-vsonic-gr06-gr01-added-04-19-12

Find your target range, and read up...Personally I wouldn't bother with anything rated under a 6, Joker has a very good ear and he is mostly dead on in his reviews.
I know everyone has a budget, but beware of the Flavor of the month cheap deals as 99% of the time it's just hype, My opinion of course.  Also it's very easy to resale something in the forums if you don't like them, long as you meet the guidelines...sorry about your wallet :)

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 22
Here go:  Cheap and on a budget. and wanting Bass...MEE  M9,   under $20, killer build, great sound at their price point...You can live with these for awhile without needing a upgrade until you get some money saved up...Baby steps:)

http://www.meelec.com/M9_Series_earphones_s/244.htm

Amazons cheaper:wink:
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M9-BK-Sound-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K1G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335502867&sr=8-2

$10  is a no brainer, better then any of that skullcandy crap..

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 22
There is always the risk that you won't like an earphone that many others do like. Even if you read several good reviews for it and no bad ones, you still might not like it. Returning opened  IEMs isn't always easy. That is why I have concentrated on less expensive IEMs.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
There is always the risk that you won't like an earphone that many others do like. Even if you read several good reviews for it and no bad ones, you still might not like it. Returning opened  IEMs isn't always easy. That is why I have concentrated on less expensive IEMs.

Oh I hear ya, sometimes the little increase in sound isn't worth the money. You have to let your ears be the true judge.  Right now I'm using the new Vsonic Gr 99, and to me it is killer and sounds much better the most Iems 4 times it's price..$25 well spent.  Even tho the higher end sets are more refined ect, these have the sig I enjoy.
I learned the hard way when I first started this hobby.  I spent maybe $2,000 on full size cans, which are long gone...You know what I kept?   Denon AHD 1000, they sound better then anything else to me...Senn 650(mistake), Sony, ATs, I've bought and tried several but the Denons now are my main set, and have no urge to upgrade to anything else.
I just added a D2000 cable to them and there you go....http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/dscf0055v.jpg/

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #11 of 22
Instead of the Meelectronics M9, he might want to try the JVC Riptidz. Some who have both say the Riptidz sounds better, and it is also cheaper. Amazon sells the Riptidz for as little as $6.

My favorite headphone under $40 is the $13 JVC HA-S160. I like it much better than the Portapro, and almost as much as the PX100. The PX100II is now around $70 in the US, so it is no longer in the budget category. I paid $40 for my PX100. I used to like buying Sennheiser products, however with their recent price increases i plan to avoid their products unless they are aggressively discounted again. The PX100II wasn't bad for $40, but at $70 it seems overpriced, especially since much more substantial headphones like the Sony V6 and the Koss proDJ100 are around that price. Last fall when the HD598 was around $170 I had it on my buy list with a price limit of $125. Now it is $250. I have some old high quality Sennheiser open headphones that still work, so I have no urgent need for the HD598. I hope Sennheiser eventually reconsiders their new policy of not letting dealers aggressively discount their products. In this current age of frugality, most consumers demand great value or they won't purchase an item.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 22
Sounds like marketing-heavy garbage. Although I'm being prejudiced, I'm probably right.

Quote:
Let's say I could get some Velodyne V-Pulse for $55. Would it be what I'm looking for?

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 22
Which headphones have more bass(with the best sound quality) between the MEElectronics M9, MEElectronics M31, and JVC Xtreme Xplosives? And the type of bass I'm talking about is not the necessarily thump, but more of the hard hit and rumble like a subwoofer.(I would appreciated lots of low-end and middle) If none of these fit that category, what other budget IEM's do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back