Need IEM/Headphone Recommendations for FPS Gaming
Sep 13, 2017 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lupacexi

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some IEM's (preferred) or a pair of headphones to use with my Xbox one. I primarily play Overwatch (FPS game) so being able to hear footsteps and where an enemy is coming from is crucial. My controller is the updated model with the 3.5mm headphone jack so an adaptor isn't needed. I'm not sure what sort of power the headphone jack on the Xbox one controller puts out (tried to look it up but nothing came up).

I am a complete noob regarding audio so please bare with me. I am also not sure what to look for in a pair of iem's/headphones for gaming. I know soundstage and imaging are important.

Requirements/Need
  • I prefer IEM's since they are portable but I am open to headphones.
  • Built in mic since I play with friends
  • Be able to hear footsteps, tell where the other player is based on the sound of the footstep, gunfire in FPS games (Overwatch primarily)
  • Immersive sound while gaming (I know I am limited with the Xbox One but if it's possible that would be great)
  • Don't want to buy an external AMP
  • I have a budget of $50 (can stretch it by $5-$10 if needed)
Thanks

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I have the Plantronics rig-400hx. I picked them up at Walmart for $35. I got them because my controller didn't seem to recognize the in-line mic on my V-Modas, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. They're definitely not bad for the price. They're super lightweight and comfortable, and have high sensitivity drivers so it's easy to pick apart sounds. Of course, the overall timbre is not very good, but that's to be expected given the price range I guess. And the mic seems to be pretty clear. They have a volume limiter in the cable, so I just have my Xbox set to full volume and use the limiter. I would also suggest using Windows Sonic for Headphones in your audio settings. You can also try Dolby Atmos which does the same thing but better. Unfortunately, Dolby Atmos is $15, but you can try a free trial and see if it's worth it to you.

If you go with IEMs, I should also note that while my controller didn't like the in-line mic, on the 3-button (iPhone) cable, I couldn't get any sound at all, but on the 1-button (android) cable, I could at least get sound if I had my mouth right up to the mic. So try and get some with just the one button.

That being said, I'm curious to see what other head-fier say. Because it seems you can't get a hi-fi gaming headset without spending like $300 on the Beyer MMX-300 or something.

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Many users, myself included, would prefer an open back headphone such as the Sennheiser HD598 or the Philips Fidelio x2 for gaming, rather than a "gaming headset". Open back headphones have better soundstage and IMO are in a much higher league than gaming headsets. The two I mentioned are among the best headphones for gaming and they also sound great for music.

Earbuds/IEMs are usually only used for gaming when you can't possibly use normal headphones. They get easily outperformed by full size headphones.

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 6
If OP is just looking for Audio only, there's loads of options. My issue was having something with a mic that works on the Xbox controller.

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 6
With a budget of $50, you're going to be really limited in what you're able to buy, especially for any level of acceptable quality. I've used the Sennheiser Game One, which is basically a HD558 with a mic, and it's quite good for what it is - but a new set is almost 4 times your budget. I've heard nothing in that price class that has good build quality, respectable sound, and reasonable comfort - but then again you might be able to find something used.

Sep 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 6
In your price range I would definitely check out the Superlux HD681 or HD681 Evo. Maybe read about those two and see what you think. I think one could work for you. If you insist on an IEM, the best option at your price point is the SoundMAGIC E10C, IMO. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back