Need IEM for Portable use , own A900 and ksc35
Dec 14, 2005 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Silent117

New Head-Fier
Hi,

once again: Sry about my english...

This is my situation: i own the Ath-a900 and the ksc35 , i would like to upgrade my portable stock since i wont walk with the a900 on the campus...

the problem:
i´ve never used IEM at all and i would have some main questions:

In comparison with the 2 phones i own (and like) which IEM would be good for me? I mainly listen to rock/metal and i love the detail from the a900. Bass is quite important for me , although it shouldn´t be bloated.

I would often use just 1 phone and/or stick them in/out. So would be IEM´s a good choice (i´ve read that its sometimes difficult to put them in...)?

What about impact of an IEM? Since their pretty small i cant imagine theirs a huge impact because of the size (and the power they could create)... I wouldn´t like to turn up the volume so loud to "feel" music , which sometimes i just like... (not all the time...)

I live in europe , especially in a city where u wont find a nice audio store which sells headphones (just speakers around here...) , so i have to trust you guys (which i did twice , and i love my phones
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
).

So in short termes:
Metal/rock IEM´s
Portable (okay im talkin about IEM´s...)
No amp needed
Source: Zen xtra 60gb
Nice mids/bass important
Hopefully durable phones ( but i wont treat them that hard , but daily use...)

Thanks for reading so far and hope for some helpfull answers...

Greets from Germany

edit: Sorry forgot:
Maximum 200€ incl. Shipping , but that would be the absolute limit...

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 8
If you like the A900's, then you will love the UM2's. Trust me, they will bring your music to the next level, especially rock tunes! I beleive that they even sound better then the A900's.

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Sounds good , i will use the forum search to know some more about UM2´s...

can u maybe give me a good store to get the Westone Um2´s , since im in germany i need a online-store which allows me to send the phones back when im dissappointed or they wont fit me. I think i got a general right to send them back without a reason within 14 days , but is this 14 days after arrival or 14 days between shipping there and arrival there...

I´ve seen a lot of people like the um2´s more then e5c , i searched a bit and found some more to compare:

Etymotics e4i or e6i , Shure e4c or e5c.

The main problem is , when i order headphones from out of Europe i´ve gotta pay taxes (which i´ll lose anyway , even if i send back...) so i should choose wisely...

How about comfort/fit of Um2?

Dec 15, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 8
IEM's seem cool for a while, then it gets old. To much of a hassle to pop in and then take em off for when someone talks to you, I just wanted something that I can put on and bam ready to go. I use to carry around my er6i's and now I just use my ksc35's for portable use, I dont care about about outside noise it not like I listen to them critically, if I did I would been hit by a car already. All this IMO of course.
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 8
For me it's not a big deal at all to pop out one earphone to go into a store or whatever and put it back afterwards. Takes a second to take it out, maybe five to put it back in. No biggie.

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 8
yea , same to me , i care about outside noise (open phones....) because i often listen in university and stuff , shouldn´t be that noisy...

And i think , with just 1 phones inserted all is fine, totally 6 sec for getting in and out is fine for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe i´ll use them as my main phones when they´re really better then a900

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent117

How about comfort/fit of Um2?

The UM1/UM2's are probably the most comfortable universal IEMs.

As for sound, i think the UM2s would be great for the type of music you listen to. Really nice bass, pretty balanced overall, nice details, but slightly rolled off in the highs (not really detracting from the performance IMO).

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 8
UE.pro 5's are a good option if you aren't going to be amping the headphones. there is something missing with UM2s without an amp. They are good but better with an amp. I personally go with UE.pro 5's. This is what I got my mother for headphones this Christmas. The Um2s I gave to my brother because he is going to use an amp. My dad having hearing loss. I gave UE.pro EBs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back