Need ideas
Nov 28, 2006 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

seanohue

500+ Head-Fier
So I have this thing called Senior Project at my school. Basically, you take two weeks off from school in may to do something. The problem is, it's so general I can't think of anything to do. It has to take 50 hours, 25 hours a week. You also need to have a mentor. I really cannot think of anything to do. In the past, people have done things like skydiving, fixing up a car, or writing a story. I really cannot think of anything. I have some general ideas, like building something or going somewhere or documenting something but I can't think of anything that will fit within the time constraints.

What would help me that most is answering this question: "If I was you, I would....." I think I could get the most ideas from statements like that. The guidelines again are that it must take 50 hours, spread out over 2 weeks and you must have "mentor". So any ideas are very helpful. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 17
build an amp?

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 17
Craft something from wood (50 hours would get you something cool).

Build a CMOY (as suggested above).

Build and learn to fly an RC Airplane or helicopter (can be expensive).

Build a retaining/landscaping wall (will make you want to study harder so you don't have to make a living doing this).

Shoot a documentary (it could tie in to the project's potential purpose of finding what things that interest you. If there is a local college go interview random people and find out how they came to find their career ambition, or what they would do with 2 weeks).

Volunteer at a hospital, homeless shelter, etc. Your life will change and you will learn more than from any of the above suggestions.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela /img/forum/go_quote.gif
build an amp?

X2! Absolutely. Head on over to the DIY board and explain your project. There are plenty of great teachers there and I think you could probably find a mentor, too. Take pics of your progress, explain the process, explain how the circuit affects the sound. Case it up and let teach have a listen. A+ for you. Plus, you'll end up with a fine amp in the end.

EDIT: if you don't want to build an amp, I suggest buying an issue of Make Magazine, or heading over to its website www.makezine.com. Lots of ideas there.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2! Absolutely. Head on over to the DIY board and explain your project. There are plenty of great teachers there and I think you could probably find a mentor, too. Take pics of your progress, explain the process, explain how the circuit affects the sound. Case it up and let teach have a listen. A+ for you. Plus, you'll end up with a fine amp in the end.

EDIT: if you don't want to build an amp, I suggest buying an issue of Make Magazine, or heading over to its website www.makezine.com. Lots of ideas there.

but is there any amp that would take that long to complete? I whipped a millett together in 5 hours.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any future careers you are interested in? Anything you already are knowledgable about?

Yea I want to major in electrical engineering, but I don't have anyone that can get me an internship at this age. And I have a moderate electronics knowledge, but only as far as being able to read and build schematics.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shoot a documentary (it could tie in to the project's potential purpose of finding what things that interest you. If there is a local college go interview random people and find out how they came to find their career ambition, or what they would do with 2 weeks).

Pick a person trying to figure out what do do for their senior project, and document their project, along with the decision making process.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but is there any amp that would take that long to complete? I whipped a millett together in 5 hours.

From what I've heard, the Millett is relatively easy (haven't built one myself, board is just sitting there mocking me). But if you were to build an M^3 or a PPA with STEPS, I'll bet the project could take a lot longer, especially if you do some tweaking. The more experienced DIYers will be able to guide you.

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 17
design and build an amp on perf board, even if its as simple as a cmoy, but start with your own design, or base it off something like a pint or pimeta with some changes, the design work will certainly be good practice if you want to get into electrical engineering

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 17
I say design your own amplifier of challenging difficulty, patent it, and then produce all the technical documentation that goes along with it. That would be a hell of a project.

People at my school did: conduct a sports psychology study, produce a CD, wood carving, make a professional commercial, write a play.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back