Need Ideas For New DAC/Amp Combo $500 Or Below.
Jan 30, 2017 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

OldDude04

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks for looking. Its time for me to up my DAC/Amp game now that I'm happy with my current Headphone/IEM collection. (I'll list them below). Right now I'm using a Sound Blaster E5 as my DAC and a Nobsound NS08-E as my amp, and I like the sound but I think I can do much better. My music is all FLAC files ranging between 24bit 41khz to 192khz, and I listen to a ton of different genres (HipHopRockMetalFunkPunkCountryRnB). I like a warm sound with good detail, I'm an admitted basshead too so I'll need a good bit of juice for my JVC HA-SZ2000. I'm not afraid of EQ at all, and this does not need to be portable, it will be for home use. I'd like to keep it under $500 for both DAC and Amp. Look forward to hearing some ideas.

OVER EARS:
Focal Elear 
Philips Fidelio X2
Ultrasone HFI-580
JVC HA-SZ2000
Audio-Technica ATH-WS770iS
Sennheiser Urbanite XL
Sony MDR7506

IN EARS:
Trinity Audio Phantom Master 4
Trinity Audio Master (Pre-Order)
Sennheiser IE80
Sony MDR-XB50AP

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 19
Modi 2 Uber Digital/Analog Converter and Modi 2 Uber Digital/Analog Converter this is under $500 and it will blow away your blaster. The sound blaster is more for gaming and not really that good. Another thing you could get and save you about $200 would be the OPPO HA 2 DAC/AMP all in one, also I believe you can also get the CHORD MOJO that's about $525, the CHORD was praised by many and I think it won a few awards? I think, but the CHORD MOJO is a beast, you really cant go wrong, and besides if you decide to upgrade your headphones, the SHIIT and the CHROD is all you need. The OPPO HA 2 is still great, so there you have it, go check them out. The Schiit and the CHORD will do 600ohms and the OPPO HA 2 will do 300ohms. hope this helps.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 19
IMHO, grab a Mojo and call it a day.  Used ones are going for less than $500 now and it's pretty darned good, portable or not.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for the replies everybody. So, it looks like the Chord Mojo is the first thing I should look at. It was on my radar, but Schiit stack was what I was thinking. I'll do my homework on the Mojo.

@ Music Alchemist: I just got the Elear on Saturday, loving them so far. You are going to be quite happy come Wednesday.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 19
  Thanks for the replies everybody. So, it looks like the Chord Mojo is the first thing I should look at. It was on my radar, but Schiit stack was what I was thinking. I'll do my homework on the Mojo.

@ Music Alchemist: I just got the Elear on Saturday, loving them so far. You are going to be quite happy come Wednesday.

If you have any questions about it, I may be able to help.

I'll tell you straight-up: When I had a Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2, I was not able to tell it apart from the headphone outputs of my laptop with many headphones...whereas the Mojo sounds worlds better.

No wonder I didn't notice you had the Elear. I believe last time we talked was a week or so before then.

Also...are you in Michigan? Because I am.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 19

If you have any questions about it, I may be able to help.

I'll tell you straight-up: When I had a Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2, I was not able to tell it apart from the headphone outputs of my laptop with many headphones...whereas the Mojo sounds worlds better.

No wonder I didn't notice you had the Elear. I believe last time we talked was a week or so before then.

Also...are you in Michigan? Because I am.

Wow, that is a pretty big statement. I would not have thought the Schiit stack would be so indistinguishable from an onboard sound card. And, yes, I am a Michigander as well. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 19
  Wow, that is a pretty big statement. I would not have thought the Schiit stack would be so indistinguishable from an onboard sound card. And, yes, I am a Michigander as well. 

Not all computers are created equal. Obviously some suck. Mine is an Alienware M11x R2 that is apparently pretty good.

It would be hilarious if you lived near me.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 19
  Not all computers are created equal. Obviously some suck. Mine is an Alienware M11x R2 that is apparently pretty good.

It would be hilarious if you lived near me.

I've got an Aorus X7 V2 with Realtek HD same as the Alienware, but my E5 to Nobsound combo I'm currently using is noticeably better to me. I'd be disappointed if I went with a Schiit stack and it wasn't much better than my on board card. 

What part of the state are you in?

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #10 of 19
After some sleep and some thinking, I believe I have it narrowed down to the Schiit Jotunheim w/DAC, the iFi Micro iDSD, and the Chord Mojo. Any thoughts?

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 19
  After some sleep and some thinking, I believe I have it narrowed down to the Schiit Jotunheim w/DAC, the iFi Micro iDSD, and the Chord Mojo. Any thoughts?

Oh man, now the waters are muddied up again. I just got an email from Massdrop about the TEAC UD-501 DAC/Amp for $424.99 and now I'm left with so many choices again.
blink.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 19
  I've got an Aorus X7 V2 with Realtek HD same as the Alienware, but my E5 to Nobsound combo I'm currently using is noticeably better to me. I'd be disappointed if I went with a Schiit stack and it wasn't much better than my on board card. 

What part of the state are you in?

Realtek is merely an audio driver. (Software codec.) That won't tell you the quality of your computer's onboard DAC.

I had a Creative Sound Blaster E1 that was noticeably worse than my laptop's DAC.

If that gear sounds better than your computer, the Schiit stack should be even better...but as I covered, it can't compare at all to the Mojo.

I've lived in half a dozen towns here. Used to be in Wayne and Washtenaw Counties. Currently in Jackson County.

The Jotunheim has a lot of power...but you're never going to use much of it at all. I've driven an HD 800 (much harder to drive than your headphones) from the Mojo and did not notice any major differences in the HD 800's basic sound signature when compared to driving it from solid state DAC/amps that cost thousands.

Aside from its more natural sound, another advantage of the Mojo is being able to drive headphones directly from the DAC's analog output stage, without a separate amp section like conventional DAC/amps have. (It does have parallel transistors, but they are part of its one output stage. Nearly all DACs have an amp inside to amplify the signal before sending it to an external amp.)

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 19

I really like the Vali 2 and Modi Multibit stack, although I pretty much only use a pair of K7xx headphones for now.  I picked up the Vali 2 almost a year ago and got the "Mimby" last night.

The Mimby blows away my computer's onboard DAC chip, although some computers are better than others as mentioned. 

Magni 2 Uber costs $20 less and has more power than Vali 2, but both are highly reviewed in their price bracket.   The Schiit stack is a great value for the money IMO!

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 19
Realtek is merely an audio driver. (Software codec.)

I've lived in half a dozen towns here. Used to be in Wayne and Washtenaw Counties. Currently in Jackson County.

Yeah, I shouldn't post while being half asleep, lol. My laptop's dac is a Sabre DAC according to the Googles (actual specs I could not find). 

I'm in Wayne County, just loving this fresh snow... 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back