Need Huge Bass on $100 or Under Headphones. Advice Very Appreciated.
Dec 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SilverMonteSS

New Head-Fier
Hello all. As most probably posting in this section I'm a noob when it comes to headphones, having only owned a pair of SOL republic tracks, which recently crapped out. I'd appreciate advice on the best headphones for hip/hop at $100 or under (ofc I'd like under). I'd use it with my Windows phone.

I know you guys love music, and that you'll probably advise me to spend money on something that has awesome sound. But the truth is I ONLY USE MY HEADPHONES AT THE GYM. They are my fuel. I NEED bass that I can feel, and yes it is okay if I sacrifice a little sound quality. Its for a purpose that is other than enjoying music for its sound, please understand.

The headphones I'll probably buy tomorrow unless you guys give me some good quick recommendations are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S for about $100. Of course I'd like to pay a little less, but is this the only good option for great bass?

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 12
There's a basshead thread somewhere in here.
Use the search function.
Welcome to head-fi.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 12
  A lot of people consider the JVC S500 basshead  'phones. But they're Japan only so you have to use an Amazon Japanese importer.

Thanks for recommendation, def. catches my eye. A commenter stated that a basshead would still need an amp with these. I guess this is kind of a side question to all readers, but do I need an amp and if so, what's a cheap one i could get to work with my Windows phone?

There's a basshead thread somewhere in here.
Use the search function.
Welcome to head-fi

I have searched and have narrowed down to the headphones in my original post. I posted this thread because most of the threads I have searched, while labeled "bass head", are usually people asking for notable bass with great sound quality etc etc. I simply want BASS. I don't care if it distorts the sound a bit. I want to feel it. I want the thump. It drives me to work harder, and that's my goal with these headphones.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 12
You should consider Takstar HD5500!

Best Luck!

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Bass it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t037tJ3vT4c

Jk :)
I don't really see why you need to do a search about this. Cheap JVCs and Skullcandies will offer you a LOT more bass quantity than the ath-m50.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 12
  Bass it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t037tJ3vT4c

Jk :)
I don't really see why you need to do a search about this. Cheap JVCs and Skullcandies will offer you a LOT more bass quantity than the ath-m50.

I happen to like fishing for bass as much as bass in my headphones, ha-ha!

But yeah I'm searching b/c like I said I'm a noob. Honestly I don't know anything, even verbiage. Do over-marketed Skullcandy Skullcrushers (or someone mentioned Hesh 2) really bring as much "thump" as something like the ath-m50? And if they do, aren't they made cheaply and have durability issues or am I making that up? Keep in mind while I don't mind distorted sound quality, I dont want a piece of trash that'll fall apart on me.

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 12

I happen to like fishing for bass as much as bass in my headphones, ha-ha!

But yeah I'm searching b/c like I said I'm a noob. Honestly I don't know anything, even verbiage. Do over-marketed Skullcandy Skullcrushers (or someone mentioned Hesh 2) really bring as much "thump" as something like the ath-m50? And if they do, aren't they made cheaply and have durability issues or am I making that up? Keep in mind while I don't mind distorted sound quality, I dont want a piece of trash that'll fall apart on me.

It's really hard for most audiophiles on here to give you some legit answers. Mainly because our own tastes usually veers in the opposite direction.
As far as Skullcandies/Beats/etc, we tend to shun them like the plague. Not that I haven't fairly tested them myself before this judgement.
I can tell you from memory, you're better off with an in ear monitor, than the athm50s. 
The sony bass series aren't bad either.
Let me know if you would be willing to go down that route.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 12
  Thanks for recommendation, def. catches my eye. A commenter stated that a basshead would still need an amp with these. I guess this is kind of a side question to all readers, but do I need an amp and if so, what's a cheap one i could get to work with my Windows phone?

I have searched and have narrowed down to the headphones in my original post. I posted this thread because most of the threads I have searched, while labeled "bass head", are usually people asking for notable bass with great sound quality etc etc. I simply want BASS. I don't care if it distorts the sound a bit. I want to feel it. I want the thump. It drives me to work harder, and that's my goal with these headphones.

The JVC S500 (or the newere S680) does quite well without an amp (just use EQ) but if you want a cheap amp just get a little Fiio E6. I had one on my gym rig for several years and loved it.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 12
The new Skullcandy Crushers use the same Rex40 driver as the Skullcandy Aviators. I own the Crushers, and the Aviators have a fairly positive reputation. The second driver in the Crushers activates at much lower frequencies than the old Skullcrushers, so they rumble at only the lows that rumbling is necesary. They're actually fun to listen to in my opinion. They do need 1 AA battery, so I would suggest buying rechargeable batteries if you would get them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back