Need High Quality 1/4 to mini??
Jun 6, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 28
There's the grado adapter and the sennheiser adapter. You can get the grado adapter from TTVJ.

I used the last 8 inches of the earcup end of a hd485 cable and a switchcraft 1238 socket w/ a big rubber grommet crammed into the cable opening. Works great. Cost way more than $5. I paid about $7.50 including shipping for the 1238. That sounds bad but until i realized that I know a @#*! switchcraft dealer, I could only find them for over $10 in stock or $4 but not in stock with no ETA. It's a mighty fine inline socket.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had warrior05 build me one, and Fitz built me one as well. Both are superb, and leaps and bounds better than those craptastic plastic jobs.

Got any pics??

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $14.95 I doubt you will do much better than a Grado adaptor, especially when considering the alternate choices for production adaptors in that price range.

I just wanted a plug to plug though I dont need the added length.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted a plug to plug though I dont need the added length.

Then in that case all bets are off.

I don't have any good suggestions for you, but know this:

If you do a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor without any length of wire going between the 1/4 and 1/8 plug, you are going to have a very long (4 inches, possibly more) of a stiff adaptor that you will be plugging into your source. The added lentgh plus weight will put quite a strain on the headphone jack that you plug it into, especially if you are using a portable device, such as an MP3 player (or in your case a Hornet).

Good luck.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then in that case all bets are off.

I don't have any good suggestions for you, but know this:

If you do a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor without any length of wire going between the 1/4 and 1/8 plug, you are going to have a very long (4 inches, possibly more) of a stiff adaptor that you will be plugging into your source. The added lentgh plus weight will put quite a strain on the headphone jack that you plug it into, especially if you are using a portable device, such as an MP3 player (or in your case a Hornet).

Good luck.

Very good point! The only thing is isnt the cable material gonna color the sound even if ever so slighty.

If Im paying big bucks for Blackmax I dont want a $14.00 cable being my final connection do I?

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Got any pics??

The one warrior05 made me is out on loan. Here's a pic of the one Fitz made me. you'll need to dicuss pricing with them, but they were both very reasonable.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 28
Hmm Hard for me to say, but to be honest I seriously doubt I would be able to hear a significant enough of a difference (if any difference at all) for it to be a concern. Even though that Grado adaptor only costs $15, it is a very capable adaptor - don't let the price convince you into thinking it is a crappy adaptor.

Otherwise, as mentioned earlier, a custom made adaptor may be in your future. That way you can pick whatever type of wire and plugs you prefer. But be prepared to spend quite a bit of scratch (depending on the wire and plugs used) to get one custom made.

I will let the 'cable experts' take it from here...

As for straight through adaptors, I am at a loss for a suggestion. Are there any high quality straight through adaptors out there? Maybe someone else has some suggestions for you.

Quote:

Very good point! The only thing is isnt the cable material gonna color the sound even if ever so slighty.

If Im paying big bucks for Blackmax I dont want a $14.00 cable being my final connection do I?

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 28
There is always the option of having your Darths terminated to an 1/8 plug!

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 28
Best bang for the buck give DIY adapters made of quality components. I prepare for me and my mates the ones made of Neutrik 1/4 socket (nickel plated), Belden cable and Neutrik 1/8 full metal body jack (gold plated). This adapter is sonically superior to Sennheiser's included barrel adapter and as I know the one from Grado is good stuff as well.
The disadvantage of using barrel adapters is their stiffness causing high physical strain on the sockets.
Last thing - stay clear from "any gold plated" plugs. They are made of soft, cheap and crappy metal alloys, aren't very durable and sound terrible. The cheapest brand name plugs with no gold coating are much better choice.

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 28
It's hard to see in the pic I posted, but both warrior05 and Fitz use the same soft nylon, non microphonic sleeving that Larry @ Headphile uses. That's not heatshrink in the pic.

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 28
We lost another one to cables
frown.gif
Long Live Stock Cables!

But anyways, the headphone jack you're plugging it into most likely costs $2, so what's the difference if you add 5 inches of copper cable to that? The resistance/capacitance/etc of the cable will be significantly smaller than the margin of error allowed on your mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back