Need helping choosing a DAP.
Jun 29, 2015 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Paspasero

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to all my music primarily from Spotify Premium however I cannot find a suitable DAP that can run the android/iOS Spotify app. I would basically like to move away from using my Samsung Galaxy S5 as a DAP because of the terrible noise floor and the drain that it puts on my battery. The best solution I could come up with was an iPod Touch with a Fiio E12a. Any recommendations at or under the $300 mark are welcome. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 11
If you're really set on using Spotify as your source I suggest the iPod like you listed except instead of the e12a get a portable DAC/AMP combo from fiio. The DAC chip inside these will surpass the chip inside the iPod and give you good amplification.

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 11
DAPs don't even have WiFi, they're designed to use local solid state storage. They're for a totally different kind of person. The closest thing to a DAP that can run Spotify is the Ibasso DX100, which is basically the touchscreen and processor of a smartphone hooked up to a DAC-HPamp in the same chassis. Most other DAPs are like that and use Android as the basis for the OS, but the interfaces are now highly customized.

The best you can do is use a DAC-HPamp with the S5. There's the Ibasso D-Zero MkII for only $129. It won't drain as much power from the SGS5, just make sure you charge it separately when not in use, then flick the charging switch to "off" when it's hooked up to the S5. USB Audio still takes up just a little bit less than just driving earphones, but in my case that's because of the processing power needed by NeutronMP's DSP program.

If you reallywant to not have to worry about the battery life, there's the Fiio E17. Costs a lot more than the D-Zero and AFAIK the DAC-HPamp section isn't commensurate to the price increase, however this is the most convenient but affordable DAC-HPamp to use because it doubles as a powerbank to charge your phone.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 11
If you're really set on using Spotify as your source I suggest the iPod like you listed except instead of the e12a get a portable DAC/AMP combo from fiio. The DAC chip inside these will surpass the chip inside the iPod and give you good amplification.

What other fiio would you suggest paired with the iPod? I would just need one OTG cable for this right?

DAPs don't even have WiFi, they're designed to use local solid state storage. They're for a totally different kind of person. The closest thing to a DAP that can run Spotify is the Ibasso DX100, which is basically the touchscreen and processor of a smartphone hooked up to a DAC-HPamp in the same chassis. Most other DAPs are like that and use Android as the basis for the OS, but the interfaces are now highly customized.

The best you can do is use a DAC-HPamp with the S5. There's the Ibasso D-Zero MkII for only $129. It won't drain as much power from the SGS5, just make sure you charge it separately when not in use, then flick the charging switch to "off" when it's hooked up to the S5. USB Audio still takes up just a little bit less than just driving earphones, but in my case that's because of the processing power needed by NeutronMP's DSP program.

If you reallywant to not have to worry about the battery life, there's the Fiio E17. Costs a lot more than the D-Zero and AFAIK the DAC-HPamp section isn't commensurate to the price increase, however this is the most convenient but affordable DAC-HPamp to use because it doubles as a powerbank to charge your phone.

Thanks for all that information, The D-Zero though seems a little ill fitting for what I would like though because of the use of all the extra OTG cables. But yeah I was also looking E17 and it does seem like a viable option as it does act as a power bank. However I still would like something that is standalone. which is still an issue for me, even though just using my S5 would be a convenient solution paired with the E17.

There are probably Android smartphones that support USB audio out that are cheaper than an iTouch.

True. I could always just use an android smartphone without a sim card.. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for all that information, The D-Zero though seems a little ill fitting for what I would like though because of the use of all the extra OTG cables. But yeah I was also looking E17 and it does seem like a viable option as it does act as a power bank. However I still would like something that is standalone. which is still an issue for me, even though just using my S5 would be a convenient solution paired with the E17.

I had a typo up there, the Android DAC-HPamp that functions as a powerbank is the E18, sorry!

If you can forego wireless there's the Fiio X1 for $100, the problem with these is that they have a file count limit due to the processor and firmware (ie even an iDevice can experience slower performance/response when full). The Astell&Kern DAPs have WiFi and can support some streaming services, but they go for $800 or more.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 11
Ahh okay.. the E18 would definitely have made more sense because I was looking on Fiio's website and looking at the specs it seemed like a better fit with my S5 from what you were describing. 

Preferably I'd like to have a separate device though from my S5 as my DAP which makes the E18 a back up option if nothing affordable presents itself. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 11
In case this helps, E18 is currently on sale for $130: http://www.focuscamera.com/fiio-e18-kunlun-android-portable-usb-dac-amp.html.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 11
Hello,

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm in a similar situation. After spending a fair amount of time on the forum I still haven't found what I needed, and so I hope you guys can help me (and OP) out.

I'm looking for a DAP to replace my nexus 5. Many reasons but let's say i'm travelling quite often and i need to save on my battery as much as possible.

I'm looking for a DAP that will play flawlessly flac files up to 24 bits and 192 kHz, but that's fairly standard nowadays. I also need it to last long, with over 10 hours of playtime with display turned off.

At this point I probably would have gone with a FiiO X3ii, but I am also highly interested in having both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the device. Reason is that I have a nice pair of Bluetooth closed headphones for commuting and flights, and being able to get streaming services like qobuz is nice.

Another constraint I have is that I enjoy a lot jazz and classical music plus progressive rock, that I listen primarily with my HE-560. These beasts like a good amp to deliver so a good built in amp is a must.

Am I chasing the impossible? I have high hopes in the FiiO x7 but I think some AK100ii would do the trick.

Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back