Need helpful suggestions with purchasing pair of headphones (All-around listener here)
Oct 11, 2013 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tulkas12

New Head-Fier
First of all, hi. My name is Mark and I need your help.

Actually, I've already narrowed down my target headphones, them being:
1. Sennheiser HD 201
2. Sennheiser HD 419
3. Philips Citiscape Downtown
4. Philips Citiscape Uptown

I know, my budget is flexible. But if I don't have to buy a pair of expensive cans to have good music, why not? :D  To tell you the truth, I prioritize design over anything but I will never overlook sound quality over the looks/brand popularity (I won't ever buy Beats or Monster or Skullcandy, well you get the picture), that's why these headphones caught my eye.

Also, though I said in the title that I listen to all genre of music, I am more into Hip-hop but not entirely. Let's say that I listen to 45% Hip-hop/RnB, 15% Rock, 10% Classical, 5% House and the rest goes to those mainstream love songs hahaha. Additionally, I usually listen on full volume and I travel a lot (5-6 days a week). If it would be helpful, I don't have a dedicated music player, I just use my phone. :)

So which would be the best headphones among the four? Thank you very much for any help that you can give me! :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 3
I know, my budget is flexible. But if I don't have to buy a pair of expensive cans to have good music, why not? :D  

Well, there actually can be quite dramatic differences in SQ between a good <$100 headphone and a the best $200-$250 headphones, as well as a good $25 headphone and a good $100 headphone. So better to say what that "flexible" budget is and people can make the recommendation for the best sounding headphones :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Oooh maybe that's why nobody's replying to my post. Hahaha thanks. Honestly, I have my eyes set for the Philips Citiscape Uptown, just because of  the looks. The SQ wasn't bad either, according to the reviews that I've watched and read. But being the spendthrift that I am, I started to look for some popular cans that are more affordable.

What I meant about having a flexible budget was that I wouldn't mind buying the Uptown (which costs around 160$ in my country), but if the HD 201 (around 25$ here) has good enough SQ then I would go for it!

Long story short, is the Uptown worth it? Or are there any better headphones within its price range that are as good-looking as it is? Or should I just buy the HD 201 and spend the remaining money elsewhere? Oh, I forgot to mention that this would be my first pair of headphones as I normally just use the stock in-ears that come with the phones that I purchase. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back