Need helpful suggestions for toslink source to USB input to PC
Oct 1, 2017 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I need to find a (hopefully) reasonably priced way to take toslink out (at 24/96) to USB input to my Windows 7, 8, and 10 PCs. Once upon a time there were a few options, but I've frankly lost track of what's out there now that's not in danger of being orphaned with incompatible drivers for more recent versions of Windows (like some of the older stuff I have from E-MU and such).

Thus far I'm looking at this: https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-digital-music-premium-hd

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 12
What do you mean by "TOSLINK source to USB input"?

Are you looking for something that connects to your computer via USB and outputs TOSLINK to another DAC?

Anyway...I'll share the cheapest solution I know of. The Behringer UCA202 audio interface can be connected to a computer via USB, doesn't require drivers, can output TOSLINK, and is just $30, but it's limited to 24/48.

There's no audible benefit to anything above 16/44, so you could convert your hi-res files to lossless 16/44 with a program like dBpoweramp and get the same sound. Or you could use DS (DirectSound; the Windows default) output instead of bit-perfect (ASIO, WASAPI, KS, etc.) output in your player to play files that are higher resolution than it supports.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Looking for toslink INPUT, from a digital source, to my PC via USB.

I’m also looking for something that can handle a 24/96 signal from that same toslink input.

BTW - Your assertion about no audible difference above 16/44 is perhaps best discussed in the sound science forum.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 12
What you said isn't clear on what you're looking for. A DAC with TOSLINK input? And you're sending the signal out from PC via USB, so you'd still need something that outputs TOSLINK, right? If this isn't it, please elaborate.

I need something that can take a toslink signal (which will be output from its source at 24/96) and permit it to be captured via a USB interface of some sort (also at 24/96) by my PC. There is no DAC required per se, as I’m not interested is analog output at this point. What I’m looking for is an interface.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 12
I need something that can take a toslink signal (which will be output from its source at 24/96) and permit it to be captured via a USB interface of some sort (also at 24/96) by my PC. There is no DAC required per se, as I’m not interested is analog output at this point. What I’m looking for is an interface.

Ah, my bad. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you want a DDC (digital to digital converter) to take the optical signal and convert it to USB. (More akin to recording than playback.)

(If you explain what your goal is with that, it could make it easier for others, so they know what you want to accomplish.)

I have never used a device like that, but know that they exist. You can find them by using keywords like "record toslink input" (without the quotes) on Google. (I don't want to list things that may not be ideal for you.)

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 12
Hmmm....Google huh? Wonder why I didn't think of that. Thanks for your "help".

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 12
So I'm wondering if there's anyone here who has actual experience with an actual product that might be useful for my particular needs?

Oct 2, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 12
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi I use a wave terminal u2a it has optical and coax inputs and outputs as well as analog and usb in and out.

Mine is the original one that is 24bit but only records in 16 bit but it does get around the sony copyright protection on minidisc.

The newer one can record in 24bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back