Need Help....
Mar 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

evlpants

New Head-Fier
So I, like most of the posts I have been reading, am utterly lost in my decision making process. I am looking to buy my first set of cans (period...have always used cheap Sony in-ears) and need some guidance. I will try to explain my needs and budget/questions I have.

Use of Headphones:
MAINLY Xbox 360 MW2 (We're talking 80-90% of the time)
Occasional music/movies from MacBook Pro
I will use these on an airplane when I travel

Budget:
I would like to keep it as close to $200-250 for both headphone and amp

After all of my research I have come to a few conclusions (please feel free to correct me or add to these).

Amp:
I would most likely go with the Astro MixAmp due to it's ease of connectivity and use of headphone+mic with the 360 and the volume mixing of the two.

Headphones:
I have considered the AD700 but have concerns. These are open and seeing that I will use these on an airplane and to not wake people next to me, I see an issue with them being open. I realize that the A700s are closed but don't know if they would be a good match. Then there are the DT770/880. These interest me a lot (even though they are outta my "price range"). However, when pricing these phones I am confused with the SQ/Price difference between the Premium/Pro. Also, what ohm would be ideal for me (using the astro mixamp)?

Any help would be much appreciated. I know that this is a VERY common question/thread and I would appreciate your input.

Thank You!

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Maybe the Shure line would be more suited to your needs. I had a SRH840. They are closed but have nice punchy bass. The sound stage is pretty good for a closed headphone which would be a major plus in COD:MW2 and they offer a fair bit of isolation too. While being plastic, the construction is top notch and they could take a beating, unlike my other headphones. The soft carry case and the fact they fold up would be great for your plane travels. The SRH440 is a bit cheaper but I haven't heard them. In the SRH840 thread, some people said that both were similar unamped.

graphCompare.php

Comparing all 3 headphones.

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 9
I'd suggest picking up the AD700 and some inexpensive IEM's for travel purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back