Need help
Oct 10, 2008 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cleaner007

New Head-Fier
Hi!
Need your help. I need deleting some duplicate files from the pc but i dont know how to. As i understrand some duplicate file finder is needed for this. I know only Clone Remover. The question - i really need app for deleteing the clones and is Clone Remover right for this?
Thanks

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, it may be worth starting by telling us which operating system you run.
wink.gif

Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, MS Windows, ...

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleaner007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
Need your help. I need deleting some duplicate files from the pc but i dont know how to. As i understrand some duplicate file finder is needed for this. I know only Clone Remover. The question - i really need app for deleteing the clones and is Clone Remover right for this?
Thanks

Not sure why you're posting in this particular forum, but since you sound desperate for some help, I'll throw in my two cents. There are tons of freeware/shareware duplicate file removers out there (download.com), including the one you found. I happen to use DoubleKiller (DoubleKiller - find and remove duplicate files (Big Bang enterprises)), not because it's necessarily better than any of the others, but because it's fast, simple, and just works. I'm sure Clone Remover is just as functional. Find one you're comfortable with and go with it.

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 10
What exactly do you mean by duplicate? It's easy to spot bit-by-bit identical files, but since you are posting in a audio forum, I guess your questions applies to audio files. If you mean "files that contain the same song", then the problem gets complicated: What's the threshold on which the software should decide if it "sounds" the same? If it finds two files that really are the exact same song but not identical bit-wise, how would it decide which one it should keep (most likely there is a difference in quality)?

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 10
This is really not the right forum, try posting on Anandtech or Ars, you'll probably get a lot more help over there.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 10
if these are mp3, mediamonkey have some useful features to sort music of any kind and this include the management of duplicates.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 10
There are duplicate file finders that can find duplicated MP3 and other audio files based on tags. But that requires that all the music be accurately tagged.

The holly grail would be a duplicated MP3 tool that finds duplicates based on audio fingerprints of the files rather than tags. I don't know of such a tool, but that doesn't mean a tool like that doesn't exist. MusicBrainz does audio fingerprinting, but I don't know if there is anything using that to find duplicate MP3 files.

The best you may be able to do is to use MusicBrainz to clean up your tags and make them as consistent as possible. Then use a duplicate file finder that uses the MP3 tags to identify the duplicates.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 10
OP, have you actually tried the application you link to? If not, at least give it a go...
How hard can it be?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back