Need help with wired portable headphone options
Oct 15, 2023 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ymzable

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for headphones that are suitable for portable use as my current headphones, Elegia and HE6, are too bulky to carry around.

Sound quality is the primary factor for me, which is why I didn't consider wireless headphones with active noise cancellation (although I'm not entirely ruling it out, as there might be some with excellent sound quality).

I plan to use the headphones with my Mojo 2+ Poly, so I assume it should have no trouble powering most headphones.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Oct 15, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 8
On the cheaper end, the Audio Technica MSR7b or maybe an Ultrasone. Model will depend on your taste.

If you end up wanting ANC, I think the Mark Levinson 5909 is one of the best wireless headphones I've heard. It will also run in passive mode with the included cable.

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 8
On the cheaper end, the Audio Technica MSR7b or maybe an Ultrasone. Model will depend on your taste.

If you end up wanting ANC, I think the Mark Levinson 5909 is one of the best wireless headphones I've heard. It will also run in passive mode with the included cable.
Really like your commendations. I might keep my eye on the 5909 during the black Friday. As for the Ultrasone models, is the Drop one good?

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Really like your commendations. I might keep my eye on the 5909 during the black Friday. As for the Ultrasone models, is the Drop one good?

That one I did not like personally. I think @TWerk has owned several models.

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Yeah I owned many of them. Love Ultrasone - full stop. I will always be an Ultrasone fanboy. The Drop one sounds good to my ears, but only on thick pads and you have to understand it's really bass tilted. The thinner pads aren't it, so you want the more recent version they released. It's their most bass heavy model IMO but very hard hitting in bass. They have a richness/lushness to mids I really enjoy also. It's somewhat more muddy (from the very pushed up bass) than I'm used to but I still like them and they're unique and some tracks hit very hard down low with that boosted bass.

It's like the most "oh come on guys - let's party already" headphone I've ever heard. Not an audiophile headphone.

My favorite is the Ultrasone Natural, titanium drivers are very fast and detailed and the Natural has amazing 3D like staging - great balance in all frequencies too - but I would start with the drop considering the price and eligibility for return. The 780 would be a good choice if you like a more V shape to the sound. They have clear/crisp mids but they are thinner in exchange for a robust punchy tight bass and a more sparkly treble. The X is more bass centered, with warmth. 780 sounds tighter, cleaner, and faster.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Yeah I owned many of them. Love Ultrasone - full stop. I will always be an Ultrasone fanboy. The Drop one sounds good to my ears, but only on thick pads and you have to understand it's really bass tilted. The thinner pads aren't it, so you want the more recent version they released. It's their most bass heavy model IMO but very hard hitting in bass. They have a richness/lushness to mids I really enjoy also. It's somewhat more muddy (from the very pushed up bass) than I'm used to but I still like them and they're unique and some tracks hit very hard down low with that boosted bass.

It's like the most "oh come on guys - let's party already" headphone I've ever heard. Not an audiophile headphone.

My favorite is the Ultrasone Natural, titanium drivers are very fast and detailed and the Natural has amazing 3D like staging - great balance in all frequencies too - but I would start with the drop considering the price and eligibility for return. The 780 would be a good choice if you like a more V shape to the sound. They have clear/crisp mids but they are thinner in exchange for a robust punchy tight bass and a more sparkly treble. The X is more bass centered, with warmth. 780 sounds tighter, cleaner, and faster.
Thank you so much for the detailed info. It looks like Natural is hard to find nowadays, so my next logical choice would be between the 780 and MSR7.

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 8
Save your money and get the abyss diana mr when it releases. I owned the v2 before and it’s a light and comfortable can in small form factor. The new mr will be the easiest one to drive among others abyss line up.

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Thank you so much for the detailed info. It looks like Natural is hard to find nowadays, so my next logical choice would be between the 780 and MSR7.

Both can usually be found on eBay if you're up for buying used. The MSR7b is also sold on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back