Need Help with westone 3
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody..I'm new to Head-fi.. I have bought westone 3 as my first earphone after I refund my SA6 due to some problems. I have no experience in earphone issues at all...I did found a sibilance with my westone 3, I use a standard comply or small shure black olive.. I felt it for example in song "Stay in Love- Mariah Carey"..Is there any suggestion to fix it? Or, just maybe, every IEM has sibilance?

Moreover...I have other question..Would cheap ampli like Fiio E5 will do any improvement to my listening with W3??

Any help would be really appreciated...
Thank you

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 12
Read the Westone 3 appreciation thread...you will find variety of opinions and ideas on what to try.

Don't bother with cheap amplification.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 12
Agree, no need for cheap amp. Did you try the white tri-flanges? Read the thread, as MaloS suggested. Plenty of good info. I love the W3s with the tris, but you may have to trim the stalk or mod them into bi-flanges. Or try the large Complys or thin Complys. Ineeded a longer tip to eliminate harshness. Others are luckier with regular sleeves. But read the thread.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 12
I have tried to read it..but every people all use different tips..but the problem is my ear is has a very short and curvy ear canal..I cannot use anything is is long type...
Is there any way to fix or minimize the problem while still using either comply or olive?

anyway...the thread is already 90 pages long..can you guys help me by telling me around what pages I can read about the sibilance problem?

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 12
Hmm, that could be an issue, if your ear canal will not tolerate the flanges or longer sleeves. I could not eliminate sibilance with the shorter tips. Not much else to say, except maybe trying the UM56 custom sleeves.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everybody..I'm new to Head-fi.. I have bought westone 3 as my first earphone after I refund my SA6 due to some problems. I have no experience in earphone issues at all...I did found a sibilance with my westone 3, I use a standard comply or small shure black olive..

Hello, and welcome to Head-Fi
smile_phones.gif

Okay, if you go to the threads in question, you'll find a 'search this thread' feature at the top of the first post (and to the right) on each page. Type in 'sibilance' or 'tips' and you'll narrow down the search results quite a bit. You can also ask your question in there, and I'm sure some of the other members will have a few suggestions for you, especially as you're new here and not familiar with everything just yet.

I also had issues with sibilance when I owned them before, but it doesn't seem so bad now the third time round with the JAYS tips. You could also try the Shure Olives, although I found those the worst offender of all. But a failure story for one person is a success story for another.

As for the UM56 custom sleeves, I'd advise against those for the moment, since you'll have to pay out another large sum of money and there's no guarantee that they'll help. A couple of people have reported negative effects with the UM56, so it's something to bear in mind. The sibilance does seem to be more prominent with the W3, and certain vocalists can make it much worse. But in the meantime, carry on experimenting with different tips, and ask in the main W3 threads as there's a lot of information there that people will be willing to share.

Good luck with your new purchase. I hope you can make them work for you, because they're pretty damn good if you can manage to reduce that awful sibilance!

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 12
Thank you for the response...I did not notice any sibilance with my SA6..maybe there is, but my ears are only capable of listening the sibilance in W3 maybe...
If the longer tips it the cure..Is there a way to modify olive tips to make it longer? like cut the other tube to be very short and use it as the base before putting the tips?will it work?

I have read the thread about sibilance..and it seem that triple flange works the best.Since I'm really new to this IEM thing, can you guys help me by listing what good tips are compatible with W3?

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 12
You just have to keep trying out the tips that came with the W3s. If you are in the U.S., I have some of those Jays tips Soozieq mentioned. I didn't have much success with them, because my ears respond to the longer tips (flanges, Complys), not the shorter ones. I didn't mean you should spend on the UM56, but some members found it to be a solution (others not). There is no way to extend the olives, they are what they are. You just have to keep trying every included tip. Did you see the modded tri-flange (into a bi-flange)? You take off the smallest flange of the tri-flanges (you can get tri-flange replacements for $11, they are Shure brand) and trim the stalk about halfway. Some users, MaloS is one, use that as their tip solution. Not too long, but a good fit.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 12
Continence? Is that the name of a band?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here's the definition from Merriam-Webster online

continence

Main Entry:
con·ti·nence Listen to the pronunciation of continence
Pronunciation:
\ˈkän-tə-nən(t)s\
Function:
noun
Date:
14th century

1: self-restraint ; especially : a refraining from sexual intercourse2: the ability to retain a bodily discharge voluntarily <fecal continence>

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm finding best success with regular size (largest supplied with W3) comply but don't jam them in as far as they go. Just put in about 2/3 of way. The sound is much less bloated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back