Need help with Vista
Sep 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
i've had my new Toshiba P305 laptop for about a week now and I've had quite a few problems with vista already.

the biggest has to do with the power. sometimes i'll set my desktop to hibernate when I go to class, and when I come back it'll be on but the screen won't respond no matter what I do. this requires me to do a hard reset almost daily and has already given me a BSOD.

the other is that sometimes in the middle of the night, after a good clean shutdown, the laptop will boot itself back up randomly, and when I wake up I'll be presented with the log-in screen without having done anything.

Yesterday I partitioned of some of my HDD to install XP but am having trouble doing that as well. Can anyone help me with any of these?

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 3
My new toshiba is a little off, too in the power modes, although my symptoms are very different. Luckily, I don't take it out much, so I just turn off all those power modes, but it still gets flaky from time to time. It seems to be better lately, maybe since installing service pack 1, or maybe because I just turned off all the power modes, or maybe the moon left the house of Scorpio--I don't know. I wish this were the biggest issue with them. The previous one from a couple years ago was much better. I had it running dual boot with XP and FreeBSD.

I've read--just in passing mind you, so take this with a grain of salt--that we're not the only ones having problems with power modes.

Best bet--aside from exchanging it for a different brand, which I heartily recommend--is to spend an afternoon scouring the computer message boards for how others are dealing with this. You obviously can't use my solution of just turning off all those power modes.

Now how do I go about getting those two broken usb ports fixed?

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 3
vista on my laptop is going, cause I dont think sp1 will ever be compatible for mine, also, updates are always failing (have some from feb) to install

Vista offers nothing that's better than xp so its quite an easy descision its just the time factor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back