Need help with turntable decisions, wide range budget $500 to $1200
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

haastyle

Head-Fier
Hi All,

Thank you for your help in advance!

I can't really decide if I would appreciate the difference between something like a Rega P3 and a Pro-ject Debut Carbon.  My budget is wide $500 to $1200.

My current music setup is (2.1):

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Speakers
HSU VTF-3 MK3 Subwoofer
Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver

Do I need to get a pre amp?  The receiver has a phono input.  Was thinking Emotiva XPS-1 if necessary.

I mainly listen to a lot of lossless deep dubstep tunes (skream, loefah, goth-trad and so on).  A lot of the tunes I like come out only on vinyl, sure I can find a crappy rip online but thats not what I want to hear.  Also my parents have a ton of old records they said I could have, so I'd surely like to check those out.  I listen to wide range (classical to deep dubstep) of music but deep dubstep is what I'm currently into.  This will probably change in a few years, always does. 

I've been leaning towards the REGA P3 as of now, just need some reassurance that this is the right move.  Please help me!

Maybe some recommendations on catridges for the future or now.

Thank you,
Haas

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 14
If your receiver has an input (L & R) labeled as "phono", you do not need a preamp for your turntable, or if your turntable has an integrated (built-in) preamp you don't need one. BUT you still may want one, depending on how good the integrated one is on your receiver. With a dedicated/standalone one, it gives you more options like an EQ, tone control, pitch control, etc. though your receiver may already these features or controls.

If you have a wide budget range, I would go for a McIntosh turntable. I am going to say, reluctantly, for fear of an argument, they are the best for high-end, consumer audio products. I don't think they produce any studio/professional components and they've been in business since 1949.

Or you can try a vintage Garrad turntable. They revolutionized the way turntables worked by introducing an entirely new concept of how the tonearm moves whilst playing the record. What they basically did, is allow the tonearm to move more freely so that the needle always makes better contact with the microgrooves thus allowing higher fidelity than traditional turntables.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 14
[COLOR=222222]I've been leaning towards the REGA P3 as of now, just need some reassurance that this is the right move.  Please help me![/COLOR]

It's the right move.

[COLOR=222222]Maybe some recommendations on catridges for the future or now.[/COLOR]

Thank you,
Haas

Budget and auditory preferences? As a starter, one of Rega's own carts can get you going and give you a point of reference that you can later use to upgrade, if you choose. There's usually a discount, when purchased with a Rega 'table.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 14
If your receiver has an input (L & R) labeled as "phono", you do not need a preamp for your turntable, or if your turntable has an integrated (built-in) preamp you don't need one. BUT you still may want one, depending on how good the integrated one is on your receiver. With a dedicated/standalone one, it gives you more options like an EQ, tone control, pitch control, etc. though your receiver may already these features or controls. Which phone stage has an EQ, tone controls, and pitch control?

If you have a wide budget range, I would go for a McIntosh turntable. I am going to say, reluctantly, for fear of an argument, they are the best for high-end, consumer audio products. I don't think they produce any studio/professional components and they've been in business since 1949.The 'tables are made by Clearaudio

Or you can try a vintage Garrad turntable. They revolutionized the way turntables worked by introducing an entirely new concept of how the tonearm moves whilst playing the record. What they basically did, is allow the tonearm to move more freely so that the needle always makes better contact with the microgrooves thus allowing higher fidelity than traditional turntables. This can run into many thousands, if you're talking 301/401, after a rebuild, plinth, a decent arm, blah, blah, blah

Comments in bold

Edit: format

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 14
If you have time, explore the 1980's JVC QL-Y66...it is a beautiful looking table with fully automated features and

direct drive. It also features something I was quite surprised at: electronic tracking. Records that would skip on my

earlier highend table (Micro Seiki RX-1500) now played through the skips as the feature keeps the tonearm from

skipping on all but the most serious warps!

I sold off my Micro Seiki and bought two of these about eight years ago and have not looked back...I use vintage

MC cartridges but a new Denon can be had for less than 300. bucks.

images

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 14
Comments in bold

Edit: format

Phono preamps that have features such as an EQ, and tone controls aren't incredibly common but I have seen them.

The McIntosh turntables may be made by Clearaudio but they are McIntosh branded. McIntosh would not put their name on anything that they didn't find worthy enough for the name.

"Or you can try a vintage Garrad turntable. They revolutionized the way turntables worked by introducing an entirely new concept of how the tonearm moves whilst playing the record. What they basically did, is allow the tonearm to move more freely so that the needle always makes better contact with the microgrooves thus allowing higher fidelity than traditional turntables. This can run into many thousands, if you're talking 301/401, after a rebuild, plinth, a decent arm, blah, blah, blah"

What do you even mean by this : This can run into many thousands, if you're talking 301/401, after a rebuild, plinth, a decent arm, blah, blah, blah

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks all!

The JVC QL-Y66 looks great, but I think I should go new for reliability sake as this is my first proper turntable. I don't know enough about them at the moment to risk buying used turntable.

I'll look into what my receiver's capabilities are on the phono, probably not much.  Does that Emotiva XPS-1 seem like a decent enough phono pre-amp for my needs?

It's the right move.
Budget and auditory preferences? As a starter, one of Rega's own carts can get you going and give you a point of reference that you can later use to upgrade, if you choose. There's usually a discount, when purchased with a Rega 'table.

I think I'll do that, sounds like a good way to go.

Edits
Well with all that said I did spot this (its a demo, says full warranty still) - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-38609-clearaudio-concept-turntable-mm-cartridge-demo.aspx thoughts?

This too? http://www.musicdirect.com/p-141185-rega-rp40-limited-edition-turntable.aspx

I'd be willing to stretch the budget a bit more if there is enough of a gain here.

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 14
I just purchased a demo debut carbon from music direct. If I had the money I would've bought the RP40 Rega table. That table is pretty sweet.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 14
highly recommend md demo deals. always like new.the Mitsubishi ls-22 was also an awesome lt. big bucks to repair,cheap to buy. the mitsu was nearly as good as my $$$ goldmund. those and sota star vacuum r.i.p. some things are just too much to repair. I agree, buy new err demo. that would include sl-1200 until the now crazy prices. since for us the technics needs at least a rega arm. I have one with a sme arm that is bulletproof.anyone else reading this I would also look to md for a scout.

btw, the Cambridge audio preamp should kill your receiver. $200 very well spent since it performs like a $500 box. if you mod it it is very superior. the only $200 preamp I like.

I hope you know setup. a properly set tt will smear a much more expensive one not done right. md will set it up but if it is shipped it will need some tweaking. there are force,angle,strobe,tracking gauges and everything. tt is not cheap to reap the gains over cd., even without all that it is still fun. oh, and get a mc cart. grado might be the lowest priced good one if you like that sound.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Well I just had a major set back.  My Onkyo 708 receiver makes no sound what so ever all of the sudden, fantastic!

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 14
man I feel you. that seems to always happen. I buy something so I am out of money and then something more important breaks. unhook all speaker wires. try the headphones. if it works carefully put back the speaker wires one at a time. if that does not work, unplug it from the wall and let it sit five hours. there are buttons you can hold for a reset but I don't have that service manual. other than that hope it is the fuse. it is unlikely both channels mosfets would be blown at once. it may be in protection for some reason. you may know all this but I am just trying to help.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 14
  man I feel you. that seems to always happen. I buy something so I am out of money and then something more important breaks. unhook all speaker wires. try the headphones. if it works carefully put back the speaker wires one at a time. if that does not work, unplug it from the wall and let it sit five hours. there are buttons you can hold for a reset but I don't have that service manual. other than that hope it is the fuse. it is unlikely both channels mosfets would be blown at once. it may be in protection for some reason. you may know all this but I am just trying to help.

Luckily I didn't buy the turntable yet. I tried resetting it, tried headphones, will try a few more things tonight.  Just didn't have the time last night to do all of these.  Video works fine, just no sound, not even the speaker setup where it makes a noise to test the levels. Been reading about this receiver seems like a lot of other people are having the same issues and Onkyo has been allowing a one-time out of warranty repair.  I sent them an email, hopefully they will do the same for me, really disappointing.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 14
yeah, video would work. that is passive afaik. hopefully they will stand behind it.

I want to be honest with you. I think $1,200 is too much table for the rest of your system. I think you could do better if you got a $600 receiver and $600 turntable. I mean if they don't fix it.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 14
  yeah, video would work. that is passive afaik. hopefully they will stand behind it.

I want to be honest with you. I think $1,200 is too much table for the rest of your system. I think you could do better if you got a $600 receiver and $600 turntable. I mean if they don't fix it.

Yeah I think it might be overkill right now.  I did plan to get the Sierra Towers and Rythmik F25 in the future, but thats probably a long way out right now.  Things could all change depending on where I move in the next year.  Might have to go the headphone route instead lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back