Need help with tube amps? (Sort of given up on tubes, still looking for guidance)
May 1, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
I had the D1 and it was horrid. You're better off getting a DAC and amp from FiiO than getting D1. Trust me.

I don't particularly like FiiO products, I've used two E7's, and I just don't like them. I gave one a few hour test run with my headphones, and it didn't feel like it was driving them as well as an old NAD that we have in the house.

May 1, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #32 of 40

Quote:

I don't particularly like FiiO products, I've used two E7's, and I just don't like them. I gave one a few hour test run with my headphones, and it didn't feel like it was driving them as well as an old NAD that we have in the house.

I'm afraid I have to confirm what hodgjy just said, I find the E10 to sound better as the D1

May 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #34 of 40
Honestly, in your price range, your wish list is too big. If you want tubes for your low impedance headphones, you'll need an output transformer. Those are $$$ for decent sounding ones. If you want a DAC that's any good, that's more $$$. If you want a preamp, that adds even more $$$. You're not going to get all three of these for less than $600 if you want any decent quality. Unfortunately, you'll have to lower your expectations or raise your budget. This is not elitism; it's just the honest truth.

Then what is a good amp in our price range?

May 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #35 of 40
why are u imposing the tube limitation on yourself? ur not tryin to meet an extreme voltage requirement. if u have preconceived notions that tubes sound better, they don't. no components sound like anything - it all depends on how they are implemented in the circuit.

but in general, tube amps tend to be more expensive than solid state amps. tubes are expensive because they are an archaic technology. high voltage output transformers are more expensive. also, there is an air of mystique and mojo surrounding tubes for historical reasons and there's a markup for that. point-to-point wired amps are expensive, and that's something a lot of tube users insist on.

if u want bang for ur buck, tube amps probably aren't the way to go.

May 2, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:
why are u imposing the tube limitation on yourself? ur not tryin to meet an extreme voltage requirement. if u have preconceived notions that tubes sound better, they don't. no components sound like anything - it all depends on how they are implemented in the circuit.

but in general, tube amps tend to be more expensive than solid state amps. tubes are expensive because they are an archaic technology. high voltage output transformers are more expensive. also, there is an air of mystique and mojo surrounding tubes for historical reasons and there's a markup for that. point-to-point wired amps are expensive, and that's something a lot of tube users insist on.

if u want bang for ur buck, tube amps probably aren't the way to go.

Quote:
Honestly, in your price range, your wish list is too big. If you want tubes for your low impedance headphones, you'll need an output transformer. Those are $$$ for decent sounding ones. If you want a DAC that's any good, that's more $$$. If you want a preamp, that adds even more $$$. You're not going to get all three of these for less than $600 if you want any decent quality. Unfortunately, you'll have to lower your expectations or raise your budget. This is not elitism; it's just the honest truth.

In the first post I said I wasn't limiting myself to tubes, they were just preferred. 
What can you recommend in the $200 price range that will fit my needs, no tubes required?

May 2, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #38 of 40
Essence STX sound card is a probably the best value for money proposition considering both sound quality and features. DSP, DAC and amp in one. Dolby headphone for games and movies is a huge bonus if ur going to utilise it.

O2 is amp only but it's been getting very favorable reviews, and can be DIYed for very cheap.

Fiio E10 is probably also worth considering. dunno much about it tho

May 2, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:
Essence STX sound card is a probably the best value for money proposition considering both sound quality and features. DSP, DAC and amp in one. Dolby headphone for games and movies is a huge bonus if ur going to utilise it.

O2 is amp only but it's been getting very favorable reviews, and can be DIYed for very cheap.

Fiio E10 is probably also worth considering. dunno much about it tho

I was just looking at the STX.
As I've said, from my experience with them, I don't like FiiO products. 

May 6, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:
I was just looking at the STX.
As I've said, from my experience with them, I don't like FiiO products. 

I have been looking at the Audinst HUD-MX1 and I am thinking it might be my amp?
After looking some more, the Tiny Tube DAC, and the Yulong U100 both look good as well, although I can't find where to buy either the Tiny Tube.

I know some of these aren't really desktop amps, but out of these what do you think I should get? 
  1. Audinst HUD-MX1
  2. Yulong U100
  3. FiiO E10
  4. NuForce uDAC-2
  5. Audioengine D1
  6. iBasso D2+Boa 
Or anything else you can think of? 
As I've said, I want to use it with some speakers, not sure if they're going to be active or passive yet, so line out is a must. 

I am just gonna get an old stereo amp, like a NAD or something, so I can use it with some speakers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back